Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ikea - Goggles to TJ - Walk- Casserole

A busy day. A Karen day so as usual we got out of her way. She can zoom round, play her music and sing to her heart's content - possessed as she is of a lovely singing voice. Sometimes when she is in another room we don't know if it is Karen or the record's vocalist.

We went to IKEA for breakfast and a look round. Then Y needed to go to Decathlon (next shop) for some swimming goggles for Ruby, which we then delivered to TJ's because she is going down to her sister's at the weekend and will take them with her.

On our way back we stopped at a nice walk The Papplewick Trail and enjoyed a little toddle along it as far as the waterfall. Perhaps not Niagara but pleasant enough on a warm October afternoon and it produced, lower down a delightful babbling brook noise. A lovely bench where we had a necessary 'sit'. And then back home. We finished preparing the beef casserole that had been cooking on just under 100C since around 8am. I started it before going for my blood-test first thing. Incidentally, no-one has rung me from the clinic so I guess I'm stable for another week at least.

I popped some dumplings in (we really are determined with this dieting aren't we?) and ate it while we watched Claudia do her Strictly come Dancing bit. Y pronounced it delicious and liked the gravy so much she used her dessert spoon ! You Jill, and Bungus, would have definitely needed your rounds of bread for mopping up purposes. Nothing difficult - cheapest possible shin-beef, carrots, celery, mushroom and a leek in the stew-pot. 2 bay leaves, a litre of stock from 2 Kallo stock cubes, a crushed clove of garlic, a little flour and a pinch of salt and some pepper (I always use white which I think has more flavour than black) and then, as I say, ten hours at just under 100C.

Comments I agree with you all about anagrams. They should not just be nonsense. I was quite proud of 'get up brewery clown' and sometimes the crossword setters hit a winner! Haven't had time to read the latest Yarnstorm yet Jill but I will. Maybe you could grow a dwarf Liquidamber in a tub; you would have to take advice.

And tradesmen's names - I used to love the Solicitors - 'Sue, Grabbit and Runne' who Private Eye always used to be in contention with.

No suitable quote for the day. I'll must try harder.

Sleep tight folks. It's WoW-day tomorrow and a trip to Nottingham Arboretum is in the offing. I don't like aviaries - but I don't have to go down that end do I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very taken by the photos of the waterfall and stream; delightful.
A possible future meeting place?

I have never before heard of the dumpling diet. I am now 'only' about 12st 8.
I know nothing of Kallo stock cubes and tend to use only Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon (which is OK for Sandra too). Otherwise I would only vary your stew recipe by adding onion and using black rather than white pepper. I find white nothing but hot, whereas black has subtle spicy flavours (almost nutmeggy?).

A genuine trade name (as is Steel Peach & Tozer) that I always liked was King Cole (2 partners named King and Cole who owned a solid fuel delivery business in S Yorkshire).

I used to love the Arboretum aviaries in the 50s; esp Jack, the talking raven, and Cocky the 100 year old bouncing cockatoo.

Anonymous said...

Can you reveal the starting point (which I guess would also be a finishing point depending on which way you're walking) of the Papplewick Trail? It looks a lovely spot and must be near us; I'm sure our dogs would like it.
Hope you enjoyed the Arboretum, it's been a sunny day in Aspley.

Years ago I was told of a building firm in Nottingham called Singh Brothers and they used the slogan "You've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians". Does anyone know if this is true, and does it matter if it's not?

Rob