Thursday, October 04, 2007

Burton Joyce - Postal Strike - Virginia Creeper

Just another misty Derbyshire shot from yesterday. Hopefully a 'mood capturer' from the picnic-bench where I enjoyed my coffee.

I delivered Y to the tram and then this evening drove over to Burton Joyce and collected her. That particular bus-route into town is a pain. Irregular, surly staff and as I wasn't going to the Camera Club I had plenty of time. My chum Millicent made me very welcome, as she always does and I saw Hannah for only a few minutes because she was off to her dancing class. Miles, Millicent and Grandma played football and Y is still a pretty nifty goalkeeper.

It is National Poetry Day and I was intending to give you a link to the official website but my 'McAfee site-advisor' was far from happy so I didn't even open it myself. This BBC one though is clean - please click - so I've linked you to that instead. I'm not sure how many of my readers, if any, have an interest in poetry anyway. I just thought I ought to do my bit. June rang this morning to chat to Y and was very impressed with my links - I've told her not to be shy about adding the occasional comment.

The Virginia Creeper in the rear conifer hedge is a picture in the early morning light, so I decided it was worth blogging. Y had drawn it to my attention yesterday because, unless picking raspberries I don't often venture down there.

Weatherwise it has been gorgeous and the setting sun during our return journey from BJ was a joy. So nice for our little people who are visiting Goose Fair, because the weather-forecast for tomorrow is also good.

If it is, we aim to visit Wollaton Hall because we haven't been since the extensive restorations, please open the link if you are interested in what has been going on and the Restoration Update Leaflet, halfway down is good. Except that it is PDF (how I hate it - don't know why). The shopping can wait till Saturday - we shan't starve.

If Madeline is reading you could maybe help with a query. Don't know if you are still on Dial-up or whether broadband has finally arrived for your area? The reason I ask is that my photographer friend Roy is still dial-up and says that when he reads the blog the pictures don't download. He gets the picture-shaped spaces in the text but no pictures and I wondered if it is a dial-up problem?

Quote for the day. As it is National Poetry Day and Dany Abse is featured I've decided to use a whole verse of his:-
"So in the simple bessing of a rainbow,
In the bevelled edge of a sunlit mirror
I have seen visible, Death's artifact,
Like a soldier's ribbon on a tunic tacked"


Danny Abse

I bet Goose Fair is swinging. But it is bed for me. Catch you tomorrow.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, RG. Yes, I'm still stuck with dial-up! I don't usually have problems with seeing the pictures on your Blog, so it's not a problem specific to a dial-up connection. You don't say which browser your friend Roy is using, so I'm not sure what to suggest, but I'll have a go! If he's using IE6 or IE7, he could try right clicking on where the picture should be and then click on "Show Picture". That nearly always works, but before doing so, he should got to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab>Multimedia and make sure that "Show Pictures" is ticked.
If he's using Firefox, the same option doesn't exist in the same way, but he should check in Tools>Options>Content tab that "Load images automatically" is ticked.
I usually use Firefox to view this site, but I have just loaded it in IE7 to see if the pictures load all right and they do.
There is a useful extension for Firefox that gives you "Show Image" in the right click (context) menu. Sometimes, pictures only partially load and this extension also gives you a "Reload Image" option when you right click on the partially loaded picture.
You can get this extension at http://showimage.mozdev.org/
I hope this is useful!

Anonymous said...

Graham, just popped back in after a few days absence and I see you've been busy.Derbyshire isn't a place where I've spent much time but from the photo it looks as if I've missed out. Sorry to hear about Bungus, give him my best wishes for a full and quick recovery so he can get back on here commenting.......Lifeboat, think maybe you are mistaken about me slowing down in fact I'm going to hoepefully put more effort in in the coming months as I want to become more proficient in navigating.Went out on a brilliant exercise last night which was hard work but well worth the effort.....Thanks for letting us know about poets day and the link which I'll have a skeet later 'cause as you know I dabble a bit myself but only in the silly rhyming nonsence stuff and not the real serious stuff as you can see on these pages
http://www1.freewebs.com/mannananscloak/rhymes.htm#97453351
Not too sure how to make a link sorry.....

Anonymous said...

I am a bit behind with comments - thanks you for explaining about the cooking thing. Don't think I have seen one of those before? I have the old sort of steamer, a perforated saucepan thing that sits on top of another saucepan, but I don't use it very often, I don't get the timings right, some tnings cook a lot quicker than I thought and some don't.....

We have a tiny bit of Virginia Creeper, even with my tender care (or probably because of it) it doesn't seem to spread much, it is the same size now as it was five years ago.

Derbyshire looks wonderful.....