Thursday, October 25, 2007

EPS - John & Alannah

Two more from yesterday at Middleton Top and Picture 1 is to check out my new 2 ton tripod with the camera at f22, and actually finger-clicking the shutter button rather than a cable release. Nothing else much to commend the photograph; blog-worthy is all !

Picture 2 is from in front of the Visitor's Centre looking over the valley and the bronze plaque is well designed and functional. It would please William Morris no end. If he could have torn himself away from his wallpaper long enough to visit Derbyshire. I know I shouldn't be sarky, but that lot were a bit 'precious'.

Fascinating how far one can see from there. But you can't see Crich Stand which is surprising because you can see it from nearly everywhere else !

While I'm in a links-mood here as requested is Gdansk suitably linked. To Wiki (where else ?) and where would we be without Jimbo,? surely he deserves more public recognition for what is after all a 'major contribution to knowledge'. So Bungus you are quite right about Gdanks starting off as Danzig and I remember the station appearing on the tuning dials of radio-sets along with other romantic sounding places like Hilversum. And "No" AnonymousRob, I'm not doing a link to that as well.

John and Alannah came this morning; a little driving practice for Alannah. She did a tidy job of reversing into the drive and has already passed the 'theory' part of her test. She is hoping to read English and American Literature at Uni, and likes the look of Manchester. A fine old university. In about 10 minutes flat John had unplugged and unplumbed the dishwasher (which is beyond repair) and with Alannah carried it out onto the drive from where it will be collected by the Council.

Y thanks everyone for their good wishes but is still suffering with her cold. Fortunately she managed her lunch. Food and plenty of rest. "Feed a cold and starve a fever" was the old adage. Some University will probably get a substantial research grant and, over the course of about 5 years, prove that it is in fact so.

My pictures for tonight are done. Two prints and two on a 'flash-drive' as projected images. The competition is 1. A film title and 2. Open. I fully expect to get absolutely nowhere in terms of marks awarded by the Judge but I reassure myself that that isn't what my pictures are all about.

A quick date with Claudia - "Strictly come.........." should be possible before I leave for EPS. And the word on the streets is that we are to have a guest appearance by AnonymousRob. A great find from Ray on WebUser please click It automatically defrags your disc anytime your computer is idle. Hence your hard-disc is permanently in peak condition and your computer performance should be faster in consequence. It's a freebie and, once installed, you don't have to do anything, it just gets on with it.

Quote for the day:-

" I can please only one person per day.
Today is not your day ........
Tomorrow isn't looking good either. "



See you tomorrow. If not before.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the quote, have put it down in my little book....and that plaque thing too.

And thank you for the Gdansk link.

I am going to watch the photography programme tonight, hope Y can record it for you?

I could ask - what happens if you have a feverish cold? but I won't.

Marnie applied to Cambridge, York and Manchester, has been offered places at York and Manchester, Cambridge is a long drawn-out process. She has written all the stuff for them they need, waiting to hear if she will be rejected out of hand or be asked for interview. She is very happy at the idea of York, though. She is doing politics and journalism.

Went to the cinema and saw 'And when did you last see your father' - Colin Firth and Jim Broadbent and Sarah Lancashire and a host of British actors. Good, but sad, not sure if it was worth making the effort to get to cinema, I would have been pleased to watch it on tv though.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see RG last night at EPS. I loved the shot of the artichoke head with those wispy things dangling from it.
That rather made up for the refusal to do a link to Hilversum. What have you got against the place? I've just Googled it and Wiki says it's 30km south-east of Amsterdam and 25km north of Utrecht. Hilversum, naturally after appearing on all those radio dials, is the principal centre for radio and tv in the Netherlands. There are also photos on VirtualTourist.com
Prepare to be underwhelmed.
I have been honoured with a request for a photo for the blog. I need to find one that I am pleased with but will also, in my opinion, fit neatly with the ambience of the blog. It will be done, but maybe later rather than sooner.
Rob

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing:
I have only just become aware of the death of Alan Coren; a great wit of whom I was very fond. He shone on 'That's My Word' (?) and his "Collected Bulletins of President Idi Amin" ("Read dis book") riiculed that tyrant in the best possible way.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.