Friday, October 19, 2007

Fish & Chip Day - Friday Rest Day

When we left The Arboretum on Wednesday we called in briefly at Woodthorpe Park and this example of 'Nature imitating Art' appealed to me. I could have photoshopped the colour of the growing plant to match the logo but it would have been against my religion in a record shot.

Picture 2 is just a vertical panorama of the Liquidamber.

For your info. Bungus the Horse and Groom I gave you the link to is at Basford not Linby. And it would be an ideal venue for your meeting, being your sort of oldie-worldie pub which has a lovely feel to it. Not being a drinker anymore I can't comment but I have heard Roy speaking highly of the choice of beers. Also, while on comments, that was very sharp-eyed of you Jill to spot that the dahlias were in pots. My snap was from a fair distance away and I hadn't even noticed it myself ! As a gardener the only reasons I can think of is the anti-straggly factor and that they can cheat the early frosts a little by growing them on in the greenhouse until say the first week of June. If one is planting out directly into the ground one is putting in tidgy little plants whereas theirs could be say 18 inches high and almost in bud.

Also a query please Jill. Following on from your interesting info. about wool from the under-belly hair of the musk ox. This afternoon I caught a snippet of a conversation on OneWord Radio, and I write phonetically, about shartuche ? wool from the chin hair of the chiroo ? monkey, which is so fine that an entire shawl can be pulled through a wedding ring. Comment please!

And I remember it well AnonymousRob, and I particularly remember all the help you gave me with my LRPS !

Nothing much to add to last night's about the close-up evening save to apologise to anyone who I omitted to mention. As always, although I was nominally in charge of one of the tables, I think I learnt more than I imparted. Particularly about 'flash lighting' from Barry without whose help I would have been sunk.

A proper quote today:-

"If you live to be one hundred, you've got it made. Very few people die past that age"

George Burns

I'm going to 'go for it' George. Just think how many more beautiful skies, and flower studies, and pretty buildings, and.................... I shall have managed to photograph by then ! And how many culinary adventures and Telegraph crosswords I shall have enjoyed.

It was my pleasure to send Hannah links to the 2 'smiley' programmes I use, both McAfee certified clean. It would have been so easy for her to get involved with some riddled with malware because smiley programmes are notorious for it.

This is true - but you need McAfee siteadvisor to accord green, red or amber to sites before you open them. Nighty night - and catch you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always click on your photos so I can see them big and (mostly) beautiful. You are probably right about the dahlias. it just seemed a rather labour-intensive method.

I have never heard of this monkey or its chin-fur.....it isn't in my book of yarns. I will ask those more knowledgeable than me....but Shetland Shawls are traditionally made in one-ply Shetland wool that pass through a wedding ring - I made one many years ago. They are incredibly soft, and actually very warm, the holes in the lacey pattern seem to retain the heat. Is that an oxymoron for Bungus?

Anonymous said...

I like the logo/leaf photo. I think I might be tempted to adjust the colour of the logo.

Jill's holes that keep you warm must be based on the 'string vest' theory which I have always thought depended uopn a less pervious outer layer.

I don't know about chin fur and have not yet managed to track down a 'shartouche' or 'chartouche'. We do have a chin-chilla which ahs very fine hair - I think it the second hairiest animal known (and I am pretty sure that the hairiest is a water beast, possibly the otter or beaver).

Anonymous said...

Animal Bytes: Got Questions?

What is the hairiest animal in the world?—Makena, Nebraska

It depends on what you mean by hairiest. The animal with the densest fur is the chinchilla, with about 60 hairs in each follicle. The animal with the longest hair is the musk ox, although humans can actually grow their hair longer than any animal.

More
Animal Bytes: Goat & Sheep

Anonymous said...

I also accidentally googled a website about Kolinsky hair (the finest animal hair). It is used for the finest paint brushes (it must be winter hair from the male animal's tail). The hair thickens from the follicle and then tapers again, giving a natural paint brush shape.
A bonus was a ragtime acompaniment.