Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dullish Day - 63F - House move

No new pictures today. These are from a few days ago when I produced the collage.

Picture 1 is 'Ballerina' a delightful rose and quite old. There are lovely beds of it at Haddon Hall which well repays a visit in June, for the roses alone. I tried to link you to a site emphasising the gardens, but I failed, so the included one is the best of the ones I examined.

When we have our new garden we shall certainly find a place for 'Ballerina' even if in a tub. We shan't dig up one of our existing ones - wouldn't seem fair on the plant. I don't know the name of Picture 2. It is a David Austin acquisition some years ago and always performs well.

Talking of our new garden, things have moved a step closer today. Our purchaser came and looked into the drains for herself and I think we managed to put her mind at rest. She is to have an electrician check the wiring and a builder to look at a lintel over the office window which her surveyor had mentioned. but all solve-able. Unfortunately she won't be able to proceed till early in the new year but is still determined to live here. We have told Aunty Etty and Uncle Reg about the situation and they are still happy with it all.

But we feel that, to be fair to them, we need a positive answer from our purchaser sooner rather than later.

Re Comments .....Bungus is right that Geoff Young could scan his pictures and insert them in his blog. If he had one ! I googled carefully and couldn't find a website and, during his lecture, he seemed 'not too keen on computers' . He also said that, while doing an MA, he had access to colour printing facilities. So the problems of time for films to be developed, and cost for large colour prints (my information is that scanning a 6x4 and then enlarging it in the computer, doesn't give good results) would be much reduced if he accepted the digital-life.

And it is all about immediacy ! A very famous writer, cajoled into chairing some 'creative-writing' course said, to the students - "If you really want to write what are you doing here? You should be at home writing." Although the advice is a little harsh it is basically true. People who want to write get on and do it. The problem is stopping them not starting them.

Quote for the day:-

"Without the aid of prejudice and custom I should not be able to find my way across the room"

William Hazlitt

I first encountered Hazlitt as a very young man (that's me not him) and immediately felt in tune. Although writing nearly 200 years ago his prose still sparkles and his ideas grab you. Please click here for a page or two of Hazlitt quotes. No need to read them all (there's too many) I just thought it would give you some idea of the man.

...'Strictly come Dancing' again tonight. Hurrah/Boo - depending where you stand. Catch you tomorrow.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just come upstairs to the computer to escape 'Strictly Come Dancing' which is on the telly downstairs.
I shall return in time for 'The Culture Show' and the rugby. I watched the England v Estonia Football international this pm. Good 3-0 result; boring second half.

I don’t intend to go on about my recent history (even though it is uppermost in my mind) but one beneficial side effect has been the loss of just over a stone in weight (now apparently arrested). Having always been a good ten percent heavier than the ideal, I now weigh a few pounds less than I did 50 years ago.

Quote:
“Old rabbits die hard.” Ungleby Cowpertrew; 1961.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Bungus - it hasn't been the same without you. I was especially pleased with the Rugby result - I only watched the last 15 minutes, not being a sports fan really, but am always glad if we beat the French at anything....

And I love 'Strictly come dancing' - everything about it except Bruce Forsyth, I do with they would get a different presenter....