Saturday, October 27, 2007

'Flu jabs - Knitted Dolls - Stir fry

Continuing with my 'photos of the media' I chanced on this page, referred to by both Jill and Bungus. Jill knows the author of the dolls and Bungus saw her on the Graham Norton show. I rarely watch his show but I enjoy him and Ruby Wax as 'agony aunts' in the Telegraph Weekend Review.

To segue back to the point - I think the dolls are really good fun and I particularly like the 'Elvis'. As I didn't see the show could one of you give me some idea of the dolls' sizes. As usual the camera-man omitted to get one of them to hold a 50p piece in its teeth.

I decided that, as I don't usually suffer adverse effects, I would have my 'flu jab this morning as planned and I left poor Y still with her temperature. As this is now a TT establishment I had to prevail upon her to have a whisky & water for medicinal purposes - and it seems to have done her good. A small portion of stir-fry at lunchtime and then back to bed. I've just messed-about, which I am so good at.

She had booked us in at The Four Bells at Woodborough for my birthday lunch but I was not happy about her going, and my legs aren't good either - not painful but useless. So I rang up and cancelled. The landlady was genuinely grateful that I had, "So many people just don't turn up" she said. Whatever happened to polite practice?

Getting back to my 'painkiller patches', the pharmacy delivered further supplies yesterday and I had to sign for them. Prominent on the plain packet was a CD sticker. I thought the chemist was sending me some entertainment until I realised it stood for Controlled Drug. Ho hum, as Ray says.

Picture 2 is what remains of an enormous bag of green tomatoes Reg brought us. They must just love the window-sill they live on because they are turning red at a steady rate. Sufficient for me to have one at breakfast time (cut into 6 segments and a liberal dusting of salt) and one later in a salad. If they continue to ripen like this, making green-tomato chutney will be merely hypothetical. And they are a lovely tasting tomato too - Moneymaker, at a guess?

"Strictly come......." was good again. Y voted for Anton and I voted for John Barnes (he's going to need the votes) but it was touch and go whether I voted for Gabby instead. And although Dominic remains a bit of a twerp (Jill's words not mine) his performance tonight was plucky and quite reasonable. But, although I don't really like him much, I have to admit that Matt and Flavia are looking like potential winners.

Hannah and Y had a good text-chat on Google Chat which is a sort of instant e-mail to and fro conversation facility, and Hannah is aiming to do more 'blog' over the weekend.

Quote for the day:-

"Classical music is the kind we keep thinking will turn into a tune."

Kin Hubbard

We musical 'hayseeds' have much sympathy with this view.

If you are reading this before going to bed please remember to put your clocks back and enjoy your extra hour in bed in the morning. In my case it will prolly mean waking at 2.30am instead of 3.30am when, notwithstanding (such a dignified word) I shall enjoy my pot of tea.

Have a nice Sunday. Out of my office window I can see the tree branches illuminated by the street-lights, there is a South wind blowing at 18mph and every so often flocks of pretty leaves come off. Sleep tight and I'll catch you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say the knitted dolls were no taller than a foot (nor yet much less).

I have always thought Moneymaker tomatoes to be valued for their heavy cropping and not their flavour. I certainly do not reckon them compared with, say. Red Alert or even Gardeners’ Delight. But I only eat them when they can be picked fully ripe.

I am a little disappointed that you have not thought it worth blogging the the ‘printing photos on fabric’ which I emailed. This is something which I think could appeal to a number of people who would not realise that it is possible.

Anonymous said...

Aberration. Why should Bungus suddenly decide to adopt a 'blog' alias?