Friday, October 26, 2007

Grey day - at home - Y getting better

Picture 1 is a photo of a Nigel Slater article in the Daily Mail; I guess it can't be a copyright issue if I'm daft enough to photograph examples of the national press.

But from my reading of it, it is a first rate piece - humorous and he makes some excellent points.

Although Y is much better she is far from 100% and this afternoon I persuaded her to go and lie down. Your advice Jill about a few days in bed are just 'the doctors orders'. I hope Marnie gets the University of her choice - it's a tense time of year for our young people. After reading your report we will probably give "When did you last see your father" a miss. Y couldn't record the 'photography' programme for me because we've only sussed out how to do with terrestrial channels. It's only a matter of setting up the recorder, but, having had trouble with the Virgin Media digital set-up we decided to leave 'well alone'. Thanks for the knitting blog - you are right about the pictures and our readers do like all these varied interests.

And, carrying on with the 'comments' it was great to see you too AnonymousRob together with your 'glamorous assistant' whose ten monochrome portrait photos were remarkably good ! Rob's ten-picture essay was in the form of a 'concertina' book of 11 x 8's. The book worked so that you could turn pages conventionally, or open up several at a time, or in fact all of them if you needed to.

Brilliant idea and needless to say the pictures were excellent. I cringe with embarrassment at your compliments about one of my 'artichoke' pictures. Through inexperience, I messed up on picture sizing and selecting the correct files, with the result that 70% of my flower-studies were dire. With 10 pictures, even my maths allows precision when giving a percentage. Reg has promised to 'sort me out' with 'image size and etc..." And I learned how to get the pictures in the right order on disc. Jason explained it but he talks so fast.

To Bungus now and I'm sure we all share his sadness at Alan Coren's passing. When I read the Telegraph obituary I wasn't at all surprised to learn of his Oxford First in English. A remarkably sharp-witted and well-informed fella who, we radio addicts especially, will miss enormously.

I've called Picture 2 "I've got my eye on you" and it's a result of playing with my scanner after Ray Spence's lecture on Sunday. Yet another promising route to explore. My day has been productively spent. A little shopping and then basically computer jobs. I moved loads of files and folders onto my external hard-disc and even though it was time consuming and laborious, I can certainly see much benefit in computer speed/performance. ..............Vis-à-vis nothing Y has dyed me a pair of light grey combat-trousers to navy blue because I was getting them dirty so quick. They look great now.

The quote of the day is vintage P.G. Wodehouse:-

"If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled"

An early finish to my blog, and it included a "Strictly come........." pit-stop. I know Jill won't take any pleasure in Dominic having injured himself. But he might go out - NOW that is a different matter. We have 'flu jabs in the morning and Y is very uncertain in view of her cold. The surgery said "provided you haven't got a temperature........"

.....Catch you tomorrow...............


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nigel Slater’s recipes appear weekly in the Observer and he edits their monthly Good Food Mag. Although he has built up a powerful reputation, and his dishes read well (if a little precious), none of the several I have tried has been anything like successful.
I have now written him off; Delia he ain’t.

Provided you are in the jungle rather than the desert, the navy combat trousers should provide better camouflage than the light grey. But remember to remove your shiny cap badge.

Hope Yvonne soon feels better.

Anonymous said...

I make Nigel S's chocolate brownies.... and an orange marmalade cake, those recipes work well. I thought it was a great article too, all the things we like to eat - and still do (including Fray Bentos pies). I assume you hve a copy of the Daily Mail - Page 3 had pictures of different celebrity knitted dolls, I know the lady that made those.....

I'm sorry Y is still unwell, I do think bed rest gets you better quicker.

I am in two minds about flu jabs this year, having read that they have no effect on over seventies, daughter tells me I would do better on building up immune system with a course of echinacea.....

I told you that was a jolly good artichoke photo!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is just Nigel Slater's savoury dishes that don't work! (I don't like brownies and don't make cakes apart from apple scones).

I saw the knitted celebrity dolls on last night's Graham Norton Show (BBC2), including a hilarious Ghandi (or perhaps there are numbers of people doing these?)

Anonymous said...

No, it is the same lady, Carol Meldrum - someone told me she was on the Graham Norton Show. Incidentally, that is the sort of knitting I don't do, but I like seeing other people's.