Sunday, July 16, 2006

UFO Sighting in Brinsley

When I had this Buddleia picture on full screen I noticed a tiny object in the sky. If you look closely at picture 1, all you can see is a speck. Please look at around one o'clock, to the right of and just above the rightmost shoot.

But when I enlarged it to No.2 - I could definitely see something odd. It doesn't look like a bird and if it had been an aeroplane I would have remembered it. I feel sure that an astute, or imaginative reader will hazard a guess. I dont think it is a helicopter either, because I usually remember them. They make such a distinctive noise. The more I look at it, and it might be the power of self-deception, the more I can see the classic saucer-shape with a paler dome on top. Hi Ho! Now there is something different to interest Bungus's jaded palate.


Picture 3 is yet another of my bumblebee friends who have such busy lives at the moment. I would have liked more light on the actual bee, rather than shining through the flower. But he wasn't going to stay there while the sun moved round. And he was being exceptionally 'busy'. There does seem to be a proliferation of solitary bees, if that isn't an oxymoron. I see honey bees but not as many as I would like.

I kept bees for a time and being stung didn't used to worry me at all. And then I got a humdinger on the wrist and my arm swelled right up and went streaky, to such an extent that I went to Casualty. I had an injection and lived but was told to give up the beekeeping. Apparently, some people do the opposite of develop a tolerance to bee venom and become progressively more at risk. And, of course, I had to be one of the opposite ones. I was once telling the kids something about bees (around the time Alexie Sayle was doing his 'boring stories') and Steven said "Do you know - that was halfway interesting!"

The day has been exceptionally hot, 28C, 28% Humidity and a Comfort Index of 47. One thing that doesn't need a figure is the complete absence of any breeze. Not a flutter.

I made a curry 0f the leftover chicken with a Sharwoods mix but it wasn't good. They often are a disappointment we find. And although there is enough for tomorrow I think it is destined for the bin. A salad would have made more sense anyway in this weather.

I've spent several hours trying to sort my computer's refusal (again) to 'restore the sytem' to a previous date. The details would be boring but although there was nothing in particular wrong I don't like it declining to do something it should. However, I have mentioned it to Ray, and he has the problem in hand. When I've finished this 'post' I shall read his email, which my gmail notifier tells me has arrived. And when Bungus's index-finger is quick enough to hit Prt Scr when his JT Kernal window flashes up, I'll have a go at that too. Someone one will know about it.

My other task was to change the icons in my 'quick launch bar' which, over time had been overwritten with rather boring Firefox jobs. Now they all look pretty again. Fortunately I still had all my Favicons in a desktop folder, from Internet Explorer days.

I've been invited over to David and Helen's for tea tomorrow. It will be lovely to see them all and it only takes around half an hour down the motorway. Even if it is hot again they have super arrangements for sitting outside and I'm really looking forward to it. Having given David the bread-machine, I must now remember to take him my stock of flour. I didn't 'go off' making homemade bread; the problem was that I ate too much of it!......

No comments: