Sunday, July 23, 2006

Becoming Acclimatised & Sunday Lunch

The weather is still hot and humid. 20C (?) in Nottingham as I write - but 28C on my desk, a figure which I trust more, and 88% humidity. The strange thing is, we seem to be getting used to it. No-one I've spoken to today feels as uncomfortable as we have been.

Picture 1 is the purple leaved loosestrife and the ornamental grass, both of which have been suffering in the drought. Yesterday's rain has perked them up.

David reports that their 'first loaf' was not a great success. The top was a little soft while the crust at the sides was too thick. Also over-sweet. They had done the french-bread recipe which I never had any luck with either. But I'm sure they will keep experimenting till they achieve an outstandingly good result which they can all enjoy. I also passed on a tip to only attempt the one & a half pound loaf size because anything larger will rise too much and stick to the glass lid. But the girls seem better which is what matters.

Tracy came to lunch and brought these lovely roses. I had previously asked what she would like, feeling it was too hot for a roast. But she wouldn't be deterred from her favourite - leg of lamb. So the butcher provided a lovely 'gigot' (of this year's lamb) and I accompanied it with onion sauce, new potatoes, whole new carrots, baby courgettes which I griddled, broccoli and lashings of gravy from the roasting-tin bottoms (another Tracy thing). Nearly everything went. There were 4 too many new potatoes, which won't see tomorrow! There is just about enough left-over lamb to make a Shepherd's pie. We followed it with a cheese board including her favourite Somerset Brie and she took to the real Emmental from Lidl. Tracy looked super. She came in a 'wafty'. A loose, summer weight floral patterned dress with an uneven hem-line. I am not publishing a picture because she is anti 'mug shot'. In this she takes after Y, who is also not keen.

Our 'horticultural correspondents' seem to settle for Monbretia for yesterday's pic. and according to Bungus there doesn't seem to be a 'common or garden' name for it. Jill emailed us some smashing pics from their Arctic Cruise, one of a harbour from a mountain-top with lovely clouds which was exceptional. And even though I would'nt dream of Blogging a picture without someone's express permission, I can't anyway. Because my Picasa has lost the ability to 'import from folder'. Not to worry - there are ways & means.

Now I don't want to start arguing politics, but I think I might email a letter to The Telegraph Letters-Editor tomorrow. We now know that Saddam Hussein didn't have weapons of mass-destruction, or chemical or biological weapons. It has occured to me that maybe we ought to release him from prison; ask him to sort out the current mess and resume keeping a weather-eye on Iran like he used to. Unfortunately Radiogandy doesn't have a political correspondent to consult.............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good idea about Saddam Hussein - he could hardly make a dreadful situation any worse. And as for the Israelis - don't get me started, it's still hot down here and will be even more so tomorrow.

It was too hot for our usual roast - although I could have eaten it if someone else cooked it - yours sounded delicious, even without my favourite roasties.

You are welcome to put any of my scenic photos on your blog, but not ones where me and mine are featured......