Friday, July 21, 2006

Still Hot - But we Brits can take it

Still sweltering. But surviving. Ray says he feels slightly less 'awful' today - but only slightly less. Bob says that he thought, yesterday evening as the sun went down it just got hotter not cooler. And poor Jill, longing for the Arctic.

Picture 1 , unless my bee'dy eye deceives me, is a honey-bee. I have received reports that they are 'few and far between' in Ollerton so I thought this one could circulate as far as North Notts at least. A bee-fact which might interest, is that the workers will fly up to 3 miles in search of the 'makings' but much prefer around a mile and a half. Dedicated beekeepers take their hives to good sources. Up to the moors for the heather etc. Great fun ! Another strange thing is that you can move a closed hive miles and miles and they find their way back to it no problem. But if you move it 18 inches while they are out they have difficulties.

This evening we went to watch grandchildren playing football. Poor little people. To say their faces were like beetroot would be an exageration - but certainly like ripe peaches. The adults in charge very sensibly didn't let them play for very long. But we were all proud of them that they had done it at all, and liberally plied them wth 7 Up and stuff.

The football field is across the road from the Trent and I tried again to get a picture of a swan with some detail in the plumage. I have failed again - but I am sure now what I am doing wrong. I shouldn't be adding a stop I should be subtracting one. Further efforts to follow.

We sat on a bench and talked to the chap we shared it with, and discovered an interesting fact about The Ferry Boat pub. It is so-called because opposite it, there used to be a ferry which took you over the river to the Shelford side. I know I know! Talk about not thinking of the obvious until somebody hits you with it. When Y told Hannah, she said "I knew that grandma". Well of course she did. We used the opportunity at teatime to sneak a picnic, and sat by the river to eat it. Y had made some delicious cheese & tomato cobs (or rolls, or baps depending where you are) and a whole bag of crisps each. Cheese & tomato used to be everyone's second favourite filling. But fillings are so exotic these days it probably doesn't even make the top ten.

My glass of ice-cold milk and 2 squares of choccy beckon. I've well missed the 10pm news on the radio but no doubt I shall catch up..................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

According to some theory of aero-dynamics bumble bees cannot fly because they are too heavy.....

I don't like exotic sandwich fillings, give me ham anytime, or tinned salmon for a treat.

We are off to the Baltic on the 31st where they have sensible weather and the ship is air-cond, probably over air cond. as it is American.

Could you send me your e-mail address where I can send photos to (if I can find them) - I have got confused (I get confused very easily nowadays - blame the weather).