Saturday, July 29, 2006

Rest Day - Still 'Muggy'

.
Today has been a Rest Day, but quite honestly, I don't think they really suit us. Too much time to think about the house-move that wasn't; and we both feel we are living in a house that we have emotionally left. Neither of us can actually think of a strategy for dealing with it. No doubt we shall come to terms with the problem because we accept that it could be 2007 before we move. so we shall have to, shan't we.

Picture 1 is, as promised 'Leaf-Stem' and when it is in working order water trickles down it. Some years ago, a pavement artist had done a pastel drawing (just in front of where the guitarist is standing) and leaf-stem overflowed, washing out the top corner of the drawing. As I commented in the Evening Post "it is rare for one work-of-art to attack another" but I don't think they saw the funny side. Today has been overcast but still very hot and muggy. As Ray says, it's almost as if the clouds have trapped the heat in. Even the breeze makes no difference. I don't think I realised that 'hot breezes' were a possibility.

One learns something everyday! Or should do. I was reading my online Digital Radio magazine and was surprised to learn that the optimum length for an digital aerial is 31.5cm. Most telescopics pull out to longer than that. I pushed mine down to the suggested length and, believe it or not, the signal strength increased noticeably.

I don't usually carry advertising in this journal but decided to draw attention to these Chef's Candles, which really work. They were recommended in last Saturday's cookery page and I remembered as I walked past Lakeland yesterday. We had fish yesterday evening and as I started cooking I lit it and left it burning until we had cleared away. Result - no fishy smells, and nothing lingering in the kitchen first thing this morning.

And I am quite pleased with the photograph. Digital photography is so much better! I took maybe a dozen frames, deleted eleven and settled for this one because the colour of the wax was the most accurate. Cropped but no trickery though - all straightforward Picasa stuff.

My yellow INR blood book arrived back this morning and my level is back within the permitted range. So no 'dosage change' and I've got 3 weeks before I have to attend again. If it is OK then I should be put back on an 8 week check. Nothing really to do with blood I suppose, but early this morning we had a sparrow-hawk fly down onto the secluded patio at the rear, with a young starling in it's talons. I didn't even try to open the kitchen door, to take a photograph because it would have been off like a rocket and I didn't want to disturb it at breakfast. The weather forecast says it's going to be cooler, which is OK, but I hope the sun remains for our young people's holidays.............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RAY (From RadioG)
Please contact Bob on 01623 863574 or renshaw.bob@gmail.com
Don't panic Captain Mainwaring!