Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Still Hot - Y back

Still a very hot and clammy day; Ray up in Yorkshire trying the "boxer-shorts and fan at full whack" approach. Bungus trying the Indian Curtain trick with doors open to get a through draft and finally finding it better to sit outdoors in the shade. All that materialised of the threatened thunder-storm here, was a gentle shower which had no effect whatsoever. All that electrical stuff to plug back in and reconnect, and Y's packed the book which tells us how to set the clock on the video. Ho Hum.

I suppose we really should not complain. I always bang on about loving the variations in UK weather, even to enjoying a windy March and grey November days and here I am moaning about a few days of sun. Shame on me!

The promise to publish no more Tenby pictures was only provisional. In view of Bungus's comment that the Victorian Post Box might be improved by the inclusion of its original harbour-background, I felt I had little choice but to publish the full 'monty' and let you decide for yourselves. Also the comment about 'skew-whiff' instead of 'skew-whift' interested me. I think I've spent a lifetime misunderstanding that my parents were using it as the past participle "skew-whiffed" and I took it to be 'skew-whift' ....zzz......zzzzzz....!

The yuccas are in full swing and will probably remain so for no longer than 10 days to a fortnight and in this respect are similar to peonies. By the time you've decided to go outside to look at them they've finished. In any case I'm rather losing the desire to photograph this garden anymore. It no longer feels as if it's really ours. No matter - I shall soon be boring you to death with pictures of the new garden and new skies and new sunsets.

We are keeping uptodate with 'moving chores'. It's such a long time since I had anything to do with offices but doesn't it take a long time to get hold of people who you want to speak to. And do people ever ring you back? I s'pose I was abit spoilt by the job I did - people did tend to ring back pretty quick. One story I would like to share with you. The Samaritans rang me as duty-inspector and said they had a person on the phone from a telephone kiosk on Alfreton Road who was about to take a load of sleeping tablets. I quickly replied "Would it help to talk about it?". They saw the funny side of it, and, of course, I sent someone straight away. And a satisfactory conclusion; the suicidee was still on the phone to the Samaritans when the officer arrived.

I'm having minor trouble installing the most uptodate version of Picasa. The one with the Web Abums facility. When one succeeds there should be a button on the bottom marked Web Albums and mine hasn't. Not to worry 'Mouse' on WUforums has got the matter in hand and I'll have another go tomorrow......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't worry too much about the video. As far as I can see there's nothing much on worth watching anyway on Thursday or Friday.

Ah! 'Skew-whiffed'. I see, yes.

I do like the lucca the yucca (and the pillarbox in its setting).

I once considered becoming a Samaritan but realised that I might easily be persuaded by the 'would-be's' argument and decide to join in. I'm a sucker for a well-presented case.

This morning, Thursday, S and daughter took part in the first session of a ‘Bullying Course’ being held at Mansfield CVS (“Coven of Venomous Spice” – ‘spice’ being the plural of ‘spouse’). In the best euphemistic tradition they call it ‘Assertiveness Training’. Daughter may find it useful but her mother already knows all there is to know about being bossy. She’s got a medal for it.














This morning, Thursday, S and daughter took part in the first session of a ‘Bullying Course’ being held at Mansfield CVS (“Coven of Venomous Spice” – ‘spice’ being the plural of ‘spouse’). In the best euphemistic tradition they call it ‘Assertiveness Training’. Daughter may find it useful but her mother already knows all there is to know about being bossy. She’s got a medal for it.