Sunday, March 08, 2009

Super Sunday - The Curry worked well - down to 36F

.
Bob's persistent googling produced this picture of a 'dudley'. I don't think the comments system allows one to 'post' pictures so I've put it in the main page.

Well done Bob. Now I see a picture I've obviously seen them hanging from miner's belts.

Although the picture doesn't show it, I seem to recall they were about 1½ inches deep.

Nice chat to David this morning and when Y is in London next weekend I am going over to Long Eaton for coffee on the Saturday morning.

The Veg. Curry lunch was a success. I knew the curry was OK when people 'mopped up' their plates with their Naam bread. The conversation flowed nicely and six is such a good number ! Helen had a good chance to talk over her photography with Rob and, as always, he was happy to listen and help. She will have her LRPS before you can say Lord Lichfield.

My responses to your previous comments

Bob ..... As above - congrats on tracing the 'dudley'. And as Rob comments, you have beaten 'nifty-googler' to the draw. Also, you are right that sometimes the wrong type are drawn to Police work.

As I commented to you in my e-mail, when I worked in the Police Careers Office I was much happier about candidates attracted by the 'Pay scales and the Pension' than those with a mission to catch criminals and do good.

Rob ..... Excellent links and thank you for them.

Re Ravilious. You are much kinder to 'ill-mannered yokels' than I am. To be fat, pompous, speak in an unintelligible dialect, and have really bad teeth, puts people in the 'unattractive box' as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the bulletin from The Sports Desk. At least I can understand what you say when you are speaking.

And thanks for your post lunch e-mail. Glad you both enjoyed it - we certainly did. You know of old how much Y loves a bit of 'social'. Even to the extent of travelling to France wedged in between smelly men in the back seat of a Vauxhall.

Jill ..... As you will have seen above the Veg. Curry worked well.

But your 'rosbif' option sounded good too. I don't know how they manage to produce hard but 'yellowing' Brussels sprouts. The don't take long to cook anyway. I must suspect 'microwaving from frozen' as the most likely method. The puddings sounded good.

If your weight, or absence of it, is causing you discomfort then you are obviously right to try and gain a bit. Have you always been thin ? Or has there been a traceable cause ?

...........................

Quotation time ......

"Dialect words. Those terrible marks of the beast to the truly genteel"

Thomas Hardy

Off to watch Jeremy Paxman about The Victorians. See previous links.

"Sleep tight - catch you tomorrow"


.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rob: I'd hate anyone to think that you were 'one of the smelly men in the back of a Vauxhall'. You were driving and Graham was sitting beside you ........... The smelly men will remain anonymous!

Lovely to see you and Elaine today.

Helen C.: And you and Julian, of course. Look forward to the next time.

Jill: I can remember when I was thinner than you in our teens - those were the days!

Anonymous said...

Your veg curry was obviously much more successful than the one I made yesterday, using passata – Sandra refused, so I did a fish one instead (Madhur Jaffrey).
I must try your recipe.

Surprised at your aversion to dialect.
Thought of you as an aficionado/collector?

Further to ‘wearing purple’ (and poking people with sticks):
Sandra’s favourite song-lines –

“I made my mind up, back in Chelsea,
When I go, I'll go like Elsie.

(The day she died the neighbours
came to snicker:
‘Well, that’s what comes
from too much pills and liquor.’)

Start by admitting
From cradle to tomb
Isn't that long a stay.
Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
Only a Cabaret old chum,
And I love a Cabaret!


Rob:
I just googled “miners’ water bottles” and went from there.

No chance of play-offs for Stags unless they get the deducted 4 points back. Others have too many ‘games-in-hand’.
Always good to hear of Panthers beating Steelers.

Jill:
Perhaps I treated your weight too lightly (!).
Sudden rapid loss (or gain) demands investigation. But, if doc not worried, ‘go with the flow’ probably best.

Anonymous said...

Smelly men in cars
Travelling to France with film
Y wedged in the back

Ah - those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.....

Bob - about as much chance of Stags getting the points back as Haslam being popular.

Jill - I understand eating late at night, shortly before bedtime, is a good way of putting on weight. As is chips, chocolate and beer but not necessarily all at the same time. Though if the fancy takes you......

Rob

Anonymous said...

See Y's comment re my weight - I used to be a size 16 and weigh at least 9 stone. Been thin the last three or four years, think it is genetic my ma just the same, get osteoporosis, lose weight.

Bob, not sure I want to go like Elsie, and there is another line 'don't sit knitting alone in your room' which sounds pretty good to me....

Your wood carving - it's Lech Walesa! Couldn't think of his name.

Had our last GWedding treat today, tea with champagne at Browns Hotel in Albemarle Street. We voted this the best - been to Fortnums, Grosvenor House and the Wolsey this year - because of the choice of cakes and the friendliness of the staff, they were lovely. Fortnums had better crockery. The usual 3 tier-stand of sandwiches (smoked salmon and egg), six little warm scones (size of golf balls) generous pot of clotted cream and one of strawberry jam made in Devon in somebody's kitchen and a selection of reception pastries, eclairs and the like,and little glasses full of vanilla panacotta and pureed rhubarb. We had just about done our best with this lot, when the a cake trolley came, pressing us to have as many as we liked. We did manage a slice of Victoria Sandwich, and one of Dundee, we shared them, and they brought us a fresh pot of tea to go with it.