Friday, March 27, 2009

Nice lunch - Long tailed tits - Cold West wind

.

The lead picture is a collage of two of Peter and Joan's Long Tailed Tits which visit every day at regular hours. One of which coincided with our visit for coffee. They favour this shrub just outside P and J's back window and are tame enough to ignore you even though you are maybe no further than 6 to 8 feet away. Although the one on the left is the prettier picture, the one behind the fat-ball is sharper.

Apparently we just missed the Bullfinch or I would have had even more for my collection. The 'girls' (Dorothy and Joan, sisters and both in their 80s) came too. They are both great; marbles firmly in position and excellent company.

The long standing plan was to all meet at Peter's and then go for lunch at the Woodend Pub at Huthwaite which Peter spoke highly of. The link is the best one I could find but, as is so often the case, no picture. So just as well I stopped in the car park and took my own.

Carvery meals can vary but I have no hesitation in recommending this one. Decently cooked meats, succulent and fresh, and the vegetables too were v.good. Without any criticism intended of the meal I left some of mine uneaten. 'Obesity-Clinic' advice is, when you are full, stop eating. So I did. I shall learn by experience to take less meat and put less veg on my plate, and then I can follow our generation's injunction about clearing ones plate. I know Bob wasn't brought up under this rule but I think most of us were.

While in the pub we experienced the gamut of an English March Day. Dull and gloomy, full sun beating on the back of Dorothy's neck, rain, and those semi-hailstones that are like lentil sized white polystyrene. Plus of course, the wind. Then back to dull and gloomy.

n.b. Apologies Helen C. I intended to check out the vegetarian options - but I forgot !

Everyone realised I am going through a bad patch and were sympathetic but they are such good friends I didn't have to don a brave face. We were due to entertain Joan and Chris, and Derek and Betty to a slow-cooked beef-casserole tomorrow. But Y, bless her, seeing how I am, rang round and explained about the pain-killers and my blood INR level and had no difficulties postponing the occasion. They too are good friends of long-standing. Y knows I would have struggled through it rather than let her down, but sometimes she displays angel-like qualities.

This morning I noticed on the kitchen window-sill that the Basil cutting has put out a tentative little root. Exactly seven days since we were over at Long Eaton and I promised to root a Basil for her. Good old reliable Minette (the variety) but I know other Basils root with equal facility.

I spoke to Reg about Picasa WebAlbums and then went for a kip. Since I got up I've printed some pictures for Yvonne, from her recent London trip. She likes up-to-date ones for her room.

My responses to your previous comments

Yvonne .... I fully accept what you say about your photography but over the years you have taken some crackers.

Much better than some of the NEMPF Exhibition pictures of Thursday night. The consensus was that although there were some outstandingly good images there were too many that weren't. In fact there were too many, full stop. The programme would have gained by being edited by at least a third. A terribly 'dated' approach to photography and they desperately need some new blood with new ideas. thats enough photography. editor.

I fully share Rob's position. <- A typo correction there. I had written Rob's 'postion'. And I'm not sure if he even has one.

Jill
..... In spite of the criticisms above, I actually enjoyed Thursday evening. Lots of good 'chat'.

Re the cod loin - although we successfully grilled salmon fillets a few days ago, I decided to steam the cod. It needed around 20 minutes and I managed to transfer them from steamer to plate in whole pieces. The result was good and the flakes separated nicely but were cooked through.

Thanks for the peach tree in blossom. Excellent series of pictures.

Bob .... Y is pleased her 'hazy church picture' found favour. And Yes ! The Casio, complete with rubber bands to hold the batteries in.

Your 'non-expert' opinion of the NEMPF Exhibition was precisely shared by the 'experts'. And your epithet 'Why bother ?' is particularly well placed.

I wasn't trying to purloin the puffball source of some vegetarian food. I knew I had heard it and it was obviously you.

...........................

Here is today's offering from The Mutliple Sclerosis Squiffy Website




Quotation time ..... semi-continuing the 'thread' about processing conversations.....

"If I look confused it is because I am thinking."


Rather than to Wikipedia or anything the link behind his name will take you to a Youtube Trailer of his film 'Angel Face' With Jean Simmons being particularly evil.

"Sleep tight - Catch you tomorrow"


.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I love a really good carvery, can't stand the ones that have the meat compacted into a cube, which is supposed to be turkey....

Much better to postpone what sounded like a good social evening until you are able to enjoy it properly.

How lovely to have the birds visit the garden at regular times, shame you missed the bullfinch.

Bob, I love that quote 'Me no Leica' - have heard it before, but it still makes me smile. Wish I could think of things like that.

It's steamed cod loins today (thank you G) I still don't see why you can't just call it 'fillet' like you do salmon. M & S have a new range of tubs of sandwich fillings (would be good in jacket pots too), I bought a prawns in light mayo one, am going to add it to a plain white sauce, couldn't find any parsley anywhere.

Our weather yesterday identical to yours...

bob said...

Well remembered. My father always left something on his plate to signify sufficiency.
But does anyone under 50 eat broken biscuits? Or have more than 2 bites from an apple?

Today’s cartoon recalls sailing the Norfolk Broads.
We’d sit on the bank at Potter Higham watching novices suddenly realise that masts require lowering to get under the bridge. Crunch!
One boat took a late right-angled turn into a boathouse; transpired it was someone in our year at college.

I’m with Sam Goldwyn; he always talked sense.

I think I followed your instructions re changing ‘desktop’.
It worked
But now, when ‘booting up’ or returning to computer after a break, I’m treated to random slideshow.
I love surprises like that.

Sister-in-law and husband coming for Sunday lunch.
Sandra prefers to cook but out all Saturday morning selling Rotary raffle tickets at Netto.
So I made fish pie; Delia recipe except included some smoked haddock (also smoked mussels plus frozen mussels rather than prawns). Having no parsley I used ground fennel seeds in the sauce; tastes good.
Sandra making blackberry-&-apple pie with last of Bramleys.

Jill:
‘You Were Meant for Me’: Renowned film critic James Agate wrote:
"That's what you think".