Saturday, June 03, 2006

Yes - We get the occasional aeroplane!

If asked, we would have to admit that we do get the occasional aeroplane flying over. But they are high enough up, when they reach Brinsley, not to be a nuisance. I suppose the vapour trails spoil what would be a clear blue sky but hey, worse things happen. If the view at the rear doesn't suit we can always go and stand at the front door and sniff the Gertrude Jekyll growing round it. Maybe include a picture soon and it is such a shame one cannot send a 'link' to smells.

It is so nice to have Yvonne home; I collected her from the tram around 6.15pm and, you will all be relieved to learn, resisted the temptation to take yet another tram-shot. She is tired but has had a super time and explained to the girls about the house-move. Elli (not 4 yet) is so sharp but was a little worried. She asked "But Mummy will know where to find you, won't she Granny?" Difficult concepts for little minds I suppose but a reasonable enough point. We have loads of house-details to pore over in hard copy, let alone those from the 'net'. A firm called Rightmove emails me each day as anything new comes on the market so, if our dream house comes along, we shouldn't miss it. We've decided to record The Culture Show because there is lots to talk about, and additionally it gives us the chance to zoom through the bits we don't like.

Bungus will no doubt be critical of the strain on my 'lappy' but I have gone over to Firefox. Still lots to learn but at first sight it seems great. Much, much faster than IE and I've already learnt how to open a set of 'tabs' of things I use all the time and then save them as my home-page so that next time I boot-up and open Firefox, there they are, ready for instant use. I've also downloaded my Google and Yahoo Toolbars because I have got valuable stuff on both (such as Autofill and Saveto My Web and Yahoo mail etc.). Maybe, as I become Firefox proficient, I shall find I don't need them. Ray is very keen on Maxthon but my young US chums on the GoogleisAwesome forum say it is 'active.ex' based (whatever that means) and is therefore as vulnerable to attack as IE. I'm sure that when Ray reads this he will have something to say!! He sent me a lovely picture of Dylan sitting on the lawn in his England sun-hat. Bless him!

Back to normal tomorrow and a Rest Day is called for I think. Tracy has been checking regularly that I'm OK and we have had 'useful chats' about housing requirements etc. She also is most insistent that I try to 'get my feet higher than my hips' to combat this swollen ankle and discoloured feet phenomenon. I suspect that should be the plural, but who cares?

Enough excitement for one day. An early shower, I think - then milk, choccy, radio and my new book 'Teach yourself Blogging'. That 'Teach Yourself ..... series' is as old as the hills but no worse for that.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't talk to me about aeroplanes, we get the RAF here doing their low-flying practice! There we are, sitting in the garden, enjoying a nice cup of tea on a previously peaceful, sunny afternoon and vroooom!! I'm amazed that we haven't both gone deaf. The worst thing is you don't hear them coming, all of a sudden, there they are. Instant tinnitus! Who said living in the country is quiet! Sheep can be very noisy too.
I'm glad you're getting to grips with Firefox. I like Maxthon, but it's an Internet Explorer 'clone', although much better, and uses ActiveX like IE, not always good. Firefox doesn't use ActiveX and is very customisable with extensions etc.
Oops, just remembered I'm not on WU!
Have a good rest day.
Madeline.

Anonymous said...

What a not-very-interesting photo; much like many in my album.
But how nice to read comments from Mata Hari again. I really enjoyed the first half (which I understood).
We too have planes: high flyers from Doncaster Robin Hood, Nottingham East Midlands and even further airfield; lower ones from Gamston airport; occasional police helicopters and the air ambulance; sometimes hedge hopping Phantoms or Avengers or somesuch that scare the pants off. And, on special days we may even see the ceremonial flight of Spitfire, l;ancaster and Hurricane making its way to an air show or other event. At one time we used to see quite a lot of the Red Arrows too but I believe they have now left Scampton

Pessimist that I am, I fear that my ‘dream home’ would appear on RightMove on the day after I had exchanged contracts on a less desirable dwelling. I very much hope that G and Y will fare better than that.

He’s at it again! I really do wonder how I manage more than adequately to compute without all the ‘add-ons’ that RadioG finds so essential. But I am a VW Beetle man at heart (minimum instruments, seldom look at the engine, no water, no oil checks between changes, 70,000 miles on a set of Michelin Xs) not that I have driven one since the 7 that I owned between 1959 and 1983.

I think ankles and feet together constitute a phenomenon (singular). If apart, things are less certain, as many have discovered.
Would Yoga be beneficial, I wonder? I try to conjure up a picture of G upside down in the Lotus Position but (thankfully) the image will not form. Nevertheless, I hope things improve soon without such drastic contortions.

I wrote all this out once, only to get 'Thia Page Not Available' when I tried to attach it. I have now returned to my failsafe, tried and trusted, 'write it out in Word, save, copy and paste' method.