Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bad Day at Black Blogger



What a performance I've had with Blogger again. I'm seriously beginning to doubt if it is worth the hassle. It is very enjoyable but I am spending hours a day dealing with the problems. Eventually I got a message up saying "Blogger down due to unexpected technical problems etc........." If only it had told me that before I went to the trouble of uninstalling Firefox. There was, however, one good thing that came out of my research into the problems:- If you left-click one of the pictures a more viewable-sized version will open in a new window which, when closed takes you back to the Blog. Very handy for the street-theatre picture for instance, where there were complaints that little could be seen. And above right where, as it is, one can hardly see the bee.

Another thing which went wrong was the dishwasher. I did the usual manly things like checking the fuse, taking the front off, spraying locks etc. with WD40, sitting on the kitchen floor demanding mugs of tea - but nothing worked and then, when I was putting it back together, I cut my thumb which, due to my warfarin dosage, bled for 3 hours. But I will not dwell on these matters. Karen mowed the lawns which spruced the garden up. It was a lovely summer day and we are all still alive so what the hell 'eh?

Also on the plus side I made a 3 star Spag.Bol for lunch. My oregano is in full fig outside the kitchen door and was demanding a meal in which I could use lots. Strange thing about fresh herbs - you can be really free with them in a recipe, without the risk of the bitterness which I often associate with too much dried herb. The recipe, a family favourite, is from the hard backed (but falling apart) Toshiba recipe book which accompanied our first microwave oven - all those years ago when microwaves were enormous and cost around £250. I don't microwave the recipe nowadays though but oven-cook it real slow. I remembered to omit garlic, because Y was rambling in the evening and we didn't want to damage her 'good companion' status. She thoroughly enjoyed the ramble. Lovely weather and a pleasant group. I delivered her to the starting point at the Dixies Arms at Bagthorpe and Chris and Joan dropped her off, after staying for a drink at the Pub. Y so loves a bit of 'social'. I hope Bungus will find the above a better balance, 'cos he had requested 'more food less computer problems'.

The middle picture is 'poached egg' which Y finds easy to grow. Wherever she puts a trowel-full an enormous bed appears. I know some people find it difficult and it isn't due to soil-type because Betty next door can't grow it and our soils are the same. I said it was 'limnanthus' which is correct, but Mrs Radiogandy tells me that it is 'limnanthus douglasii' to distinguish it from t'other limnanthuses. The white stuff in front of it we only know as Richard Whiting because it was his garden that ours came from. Another good 'doo-er' from year to year without fail. The lupins I grew from seed and shall do so again in our new garden, because they are a joy. It's best to start again anyway after a couple of years or so - to have vigorous plants with long stems. Old beds tend to revert to 'robusta' colours and short stems.

Just 'hoping against hope' now, that this publishes. It did but I got the 'runtime' error warning again. I just ignored it and closed the window and all seems OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This should reassure you that your blog was posted. Your emails sounded desperate and it would be such a pity to surrender now.

Smashing blooming pictures (inc bee). Russell lupins are very gaudy but I still have a soft spot for them from the 40s when Mr Townroe grew them in the whole of the c 40ft x 40ft garden to the chapel which adjoined our home (now replaced by 3 houses with very small gardens). As a child I thought the colours marvellous and one year they were covered with hundreds of Red Admirals which was even more wondrous. But, as you say, after 4 or 5 years they returned to rather dull and uninteresting pink and blue shades. I had always understood that he grew them for sale, flowers and seeds, in aid of chapel funds but surely, being hybrids, the seeds, if grown, would also revert to original?
Not only does a left click on pic produce an enlargement but then resting the arrow on the pic brings up an arrowed square in bottom rh corner. Left clicking on that enlarges still further; but strangely only in 2 of these 3 pics (not the bee). How expectedly odd.

Re your comment on garlic - I know people go on about it but I have never yet detected any objectionable garlic odour from anyone or anything at any time. Perhaps it is just something which I do not notice because I like it and, therefore, personally find it inoffensive - unlike, say, hyacinths.

I knew there was something missing when you first mentioned ‘limnanthus’ in an email – it was the essential ‘Douglassii’ of course!