Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A really busy day

A picture left over from yesterday. This beautiful Ford v8 Pilot lives just up the hill on Joan's road. The reason I publish it is that when I joined the Police in the 1950s these cars were in use as patrol-cars. In black of course, and I can't quite decide whether or not this is a genuine one - it looks much more glamorous than I remember. And I can't accept praise for the excellent photograph because Mrs Radiogandy nipped back up the road and took it for me. I was too done-for by that stage to get out of the car unnecessarily.

We have had quite a day. I went out early to do some shopping and obtain some tile-adhesive and grout to stick back 2 tiles in the shower cubicle. Our buyer's surveyor is coming at 9am and we thought we ought to do it. Likewise, getting a chap to fix the dishwasher which, as it's plumbed in behind the kitchen units, is classed as a fixture and is part of the sale. He arrived around 12.30pm and needed to tell us about the problems he is having with his Mum! We were desperate for a sandwich before leaving to arrive in time for the National Trust Committee meeting in Mansfield at 2pm. It was 1.30pm before we set off and I knew a short cut! Needless to say, I got lost, the road system has changed dramatically since I was posted there. And whereas last time they didn't start the meeting till 2.15pm, this time they started promptly at 2pm and Y had to make a 'dramatic entrance' around 2.10pm. Not to worry 'eh?. Then we had probs re cashing-in some Lloyds TSB ISAs. Y had been told on the phone that we needed surrender-forms from the branch. But at the Branch they said "Not so, as they are Tessa ISAs, you need to write to Worthing". It took them about half an hour to sort that out. Didn't Oscar Wilde have something to say about Worthing?

I had decided to cook Roast Chicken for main-meal so I started that when we returned from Mansfield. Did all the trimmings + some delightful looking oyster-mushrooms that had taken my fancy. Some yellow, some pink, some orange etc., and assorted sizes and shapes. They only needed 3 mins to cook and were well worth it. And I'm not even prepared to discuss Yorkshires. After dinner I decided on a quick kip and no sooner had I nodded off than Serif rang to try to interest me in some software. As politely as I could I declined. They've got a living to earn and couldn't reasonably be expected to anticipate a customer having a nap at 7.10pm! Far to busy to watch Springwatch tonight, with emails, my Blog, grouting to finish.

If anybody missed Bungus's comment about hearing-aids - please check-it out on yesterday's. It's hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, that is a nice car! I am a bit surprised at the date you put on it. It reminds me of my first vehicle; a 1935 Standard 12 de luxe Saloon (acquired about 1951/2). It had free-wheel, picnic trays, and a wind-up windscreen (useful in fog). And a starting handle. What I think I am saying is that car design did not change very rapidly from the 30s until the mid 50s. And you could always tell a Vauxhall by the chrome tapered flutes down the sides of the bonnet.

I don’t know about Oscar Wilde but I have something to say about Worthing. Our evacuee, Raymond (although I had specified that he be called Bill), came from there and was a right little terror. He was a bit older than me (about 10) and at the time, of course, I had no sympathy for his having been uprooted and sent to live with strangers who talked funny. I know he threw my ball away! His sister was lodged a few doors away at my friend’s (the one I met up with last week after some 30 years) but eventually someone else agreed to have them both which was probably beneficial all round.

Lest anyone get a wrong impression, I think RadioG would agree that Serif are generally pretty well behaved on the sales front – not too pushy and they do have some genuine ‘end-of-line’ bargains.

What did you say? I’m afraid you’ll have to speak up …