Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day Lunch at Tracy's



The pictures need perhaps some explanation. No.1 is a Gertrude Jeykell bloom that fell victim to over-zealous dead heading and Y couldn't bear to put it in with the compost. The little glass jug is usually used for serving mint-sauce in. Don't ask me why; it just is! Anyway, it fitted the bill as a makeshift vase and I photographed it on a dark sheet - no clever manipulation. No.2 is the teapot I mentioned (part of the set the valuer described as 'of little value') and which I now use as the everyday teapot in my room. My guess is that it hasn't actually been used for 100years or so. My Gran had them as an ornament only, and she was an 1860s girl. So I serve myself the most elegant tea at 3.30am! In a way, I think the single bloom and the teapot seem to go together.

Everybody rang to wish me 'Happy Father's Day' and Debra told me a story sure to bring a lump to the throat. Elli had been stung by a bee she had accidentally stood on, in the grass just before bedtime and was suffering quite a bit. Debra comforted her saying "The bee didn't mean to sting you; it would just be scared when you trod on it". With a sob in her voice, the little mite said "Tomorrow Mummy, I want to go and find the bee and say 'sorry' for standing on it". I think there is hope for the world! My cards were smashing, and witty - the one from TJ is designed to hang on my doorhandle and has a picture of a computer and the words "Do not disturb - files being downloaded". The girl must spend ages finding appropriate ones.

We set off quite early to go to Tracy's and went first to the tip with cracked steamers, ex-toasters etc., and then to Woodthorpe because we wanted to check distances and things. Then to Tracy's to unload things to be stored in her loft (I was excused duty). She had done a lovely lunch - Yorkshires with a beef-based filling and veg., followed by fruit salad and cream and finally a very good cheese board with a brie that was coming to meet me. Served with some oatmeal biscuits which she knows I love.

Then we drove home the pretty route and when we arrived I grabbed a nap. This heat doesn't really suit me and I feel as if I could do with being 'hosed down'. We've managed to empty a chest of drawers which is going in the morning, so a lot of my clothes are in cardboard boxes on the floor. How awful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this story, which I heard at my mother’s knee (she had a funny way of speaking) about a silver teapot, a rose and a mint sauce jug … not really but they are very attractive pictures. However, if Y is doing the dead heading, I think you should watch your step.

No comment on Saturday’s blog except to say that the RSI (or possibly a soft metacarpal injury which will not stop me playing on Tuesday) seems to have cured itself.

Referring back to my Friday comments, I am advised by my ornithological consultant (in the 60s he removed a troublesome bird that had got up my nose) that penguins are unlikely to get as far north as Ollerton. It seems more likely that they were magpies.

Back to Sunday.
You exaggerate a little. I did not ring to wish you a Happy Fathers’ Day although I do not begrudge it you. My score was less successful, viz, 1 out of 4, but I am not bitter. Never been much of a one for recognising anniversaries – I never send Birthday Cards (surprisingly, neither do I receive many!). As a sort of compensation, and rather than sit at home feeling neglected and nursing my wrist, I took S out for lunch, which we both enjoyed. Consequently, following a pint and a half of Black Sheep, I slept through the first half of the excellent Brazil/USA game.