Thursday, June 08, 2006

Burton Joyce Day - Splendid Weather


Trouble loading images again. But so far OK if slow. And the font wasn't right. But it now is. I typed a sentence and 'published' and then accessed the Blog via my Edit procedure. Convoluted but effective. And as the old quaker saying goes " a way will open ". Picture 1 is of a resolute squirrel who, in his determination to reach the birds' peanuts, half wrecked a rose arch (right of shot). It was easily mended though with a couple of nails. Photo 2 is the crowd surrounding the street-theatre chap on Monday The white conical thingy just in front of it, is a piece of modern sculpture entitled 'Leaf Stem' and when it is working, water trickles down it. It has been there some years now and I have grown to love it. Number 3 is just the bird-bath and above it a weigelia which is approaching full bloom. For those who like to know these things I am assured that it is 'biers alla'. Hope I've spelt it right.

I would like to thank people for their encouraging comments and emails because I was pretty despondent about computers in general, 'blogger' in particular. dishwashers giving up etc. Ray said he thought I must have broken a mirror recently. Then yesterday - is it possible to flush a loo in anger? - because I broke the handle off. Resourcefully, first thing this morning, I sprayed the screws and things inside with WD40 because they were rusted, and after I'd dropped Y at the tram I went to B&Q and bought a new one. The whole excercise ran smoothly from start to finish and I now have a fully flushing loo again. Didn't cut myself, fall down, or break anything. "Things are on the up" I thought and, realising that yesterday's Blog problems were 'blogger's' fault and not Firefox's I decided to reinstall it. No trouble at all . But the weirdest thing. When it had completed it's install-procedure and opened the programme - there were my original tabs, bookmarks, settings etc.. The whole lot. Now, where on earth had it been storing them I wonder?

Back to food now. Yesterday's Spag. Bol was even better today. As so often happens, flavours seem to mellow and mature overnight. I may have blogged it before but I always recall one of the 'Street Cries of London' series about stew being "Seven Days in The Pot". I don't think we would dare go that far these days but the principle is the same. A particular Leek & Potato soup recipe I use (well I don't actually need the recipe anymore) is always better second day. Debra was charmed when I photo-copied the recipe for her, I'd written on it "If a skin forms be glad, it will taste even better when it's stirred in".

I daren't try to 'publish' becasue at the moment there is a message across the bottom saying 'could not connect to blogger - publishing my fail'. It's gone now so fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The squirrel photo will not win any prizes but 'so what?'
The sculpture, which I have always liked, came in for much criticism and received a number of nicknames when first erected (I choose my words. Could it have been the inspiration for Foster's 'Erotic Gherkin' in the City of London?).
The weigelia looks very like one we have which has been in full bloom for a week or more. In the front garden we also have a very dark red (almost magenta) one which is altogther more sinister.

Are you sure about the street cry? The one i know is not about stew, which I agree improves with keeping and reheating, but pease pudding - 'Pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold, pease pudding in the pot, nine days old'. The Geordie wife of a Geordie dominoes colleague of mine (both now, sadly, deceased) used to make it for one of the Ollerton butchers and on New Year's Eve she would bring a dozen or two ham and pease pudd'n cobs to the Welfare - lovely!. Her husband Jimmy used to delight in telling the tale of their wedding; Sheila was only 16 and, therefore, after the ceremony, had to sit on the stone trough and wait outside the pub for an hour or two while Jim went in for a celebratory 'session' with his marrers. This laid the firm foundation for a 50 year marriage of equals and a family of half-a-dozen children.

Good to have the continuing blog.