Friday, June 16, 2006

Too Busy - Be glad when we've moved


Just a piccy of the roses in the early morning sun. I know I shall have another view from my bedroom window when we move, and I shall soon grow to love it. But this one has been great.

I've had all sorts of computer problems today. Firefox horrid. Had to use IE6 to access my Blog and even then it kept telling me I had 'runtime errors' or 'Windows cannot open this page' and assorted guff. And I've been too busy to really tackle it. I just wanted it to work. Anyway, I'm here now. As planned I sat in Beryl's car while she had a go at driving. She wasn't bad but I haven't changed my opinion - and she is so forgetful. Asked me if my car was new? and seems to have completely forgotten the details of her stroke etc.. We only ventured down the country roads she knows, but she got lost and insisted on 20mph, which didn't please the queue of traffic behind us. I didn't feel I could bluntly say that I didn't think she was up to it, so I said "I think I ought to come out with you a few more times before you risk going solo!" She accepts that.

Then we had the 'antique furniture' valuer. He obviously knew his stuff but told us that, when things are valued for insurance purposes, the estimate is around 4 times what the items would make in auction. After talking things through we decided to sell most of the things. With having 5 , it would be impossible to be 'fair', if we left different things to different children. Some of the E.P.N.S stuff is of such low value that we've decided to keep it and use it. I now have a most elegant tea-pot in my room! I'll take a photo of it and Blog it. Just a catch-up note re last night's 'springwatch' (unfortunately the last) but they showed a lovely goldfinch nest, high up in a tree. I'd never seen a goldfinch nest, even during my boyhood 'birds egg' collection days. I know. I am ashamed but it was what boys did. When I saw how high up in the tree the nest was, I'm not suprised I never found one. During the morning I called at my 'cheap shop man' because he had promised me as many cardboard-boxes as we needed. It saves him having to dispose of them. I loaded up lots and when we arrived home I made up a selection. Although Y has finally agreed in principle that we will have the removal firm do most of the packing; there are precious things she wants to deal with herself and I understand that. I just don't want her to tire herself out unnecessarily.

A lovely highlight this! We called in at IKEA because if we move in as planned, there are several things we shall need, and we both like IKEA. We had heard about them employing retired Gurkhas as security people, and we met one! He was only small but obviously not to be messed-with. He had a radio-link and was dealing with someone illegally parked in the disabled-bays. I bet they don't do it again. After he'd sorted it, we stopped for a chat and it gave me great pleasure to shake his hand. They have fought for us so loyally over the years, and as far as we are concerned, our borders should be open to them. We both had salads in the restaurant for lunch and, as salads go, mine was OK.

When we had a pot of tea at home we sat in the big room and on the front lawn was a pied-wagtail. Isn't it strange how they walk everywhere? Magpies do it too. I've always wondered why? It was my intention to deal with Bungus's comments yesterday by adding 'comments' but, as I can't access it, they will have to wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your dilemma about surplus furniture.I think all you can do is let people know when the auction is and they can then bid for anything they particularly like - and your children will eventually share the proceeds!

I thought we wre going to read something absolutely fascinating about IKEA but it turned out to be just a Ghurka story . . .! Prince Charles has two as his ceremonial bodyguard and you get a distinct feeling that they are up to the job.

I think a lot of birds walk - starlings, ducks, coots, ostriches, penguins? We had two penguins in the willow tree last week but the light wasn't right.

I'm pleased that your Blog was fairly uninteresting today otherwise I would have felt tempted to write more which would have made my CSA worse ... no, not CSA, RSI.