Monday, June 12, 2006

We've Bought a Bungalow !!

This folks is, hopefully, our new bungalow. I decided not to publish the actual address because there are some strange people out there on the internet. The first 2 pictures are from the agents-details, showing the front view and a view to the rear garden. No.3 is one of mine, showing the view from what will be my bedroom. - Office, study, lair, cell - whatever you like to call it. One of my few requirements, was that I be able to see some sky, and I can. It was a pretty awful day weatherwise, and whilst brightening the pic enough to see some foreground and middle distance detail, I've burnt-out the sky. Fixable if the photograph was for something important but it would be a faff. We both liked the place from first going in. Built in the 1950s it has a good solid feel to it. Another non-negotiable demand was that there be a paved area just outside the kitchen door, where I can keep my herb-tubs. And there is!

As soon as we left, we went round to Joan's (less than a mile away as the crow flies) and Y started ringing round the family and texting. Tracy grilled me fairly closely as to 'did I actually like it, or was I just saying 'yes' to please Mum'. I was able to put her mind at rest and she is keen to come along when we next visit. The bungalow is in the bit of Woodthorpe closer to Mapperley Top, than Arnold, and there is a smashing variety of shops, restaurants, banks, building societies etc., etc., and we didn't notice a single empty shop. It looked thriving and prosperous compared with poor old Eastwood, which looks really sad these days.

We did a lot of admin things when we got home but there is going to be lots more. The really stressful bit starts now, surveyors, contracts, removal firms. It's SO understandable when older people (like us I suppose) think they can't be bothered to move. But we are all excited. Y says that this 'post' is perhaps a little premature. Let us hope not!

So much for the sunny day which was forecast. There was extremely heavy rain (the bouncing off the road sort) and thunder, and it remains head-achy humid and hot. Lots to do n the morning and National Trust Committee meeting in the afternoon. I reported last night "such excitements in the offing" but I wasn't expecting to buy a bungalow. Just as a little bit of interest - the word 'offing' comes from sailing-ship days and was an area of sea outside the harbour where large craft would wait for the right tide and wind to make it into port. So things were described as 'in the offing'. You all prolly knew that anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear some really good news. I do hope things go smoothly with the house move. You must feel very happy at the prospect of a successful completion. The bungalow looks all right – nice size front lawn, a tree, a couple of shrubs and a few flowers. It looks a good basis without any need for immediate action. I am surprised that the agent didn’t crop the interior photo; I would not have expected the carpet to be a big selling point. But perhaps that is why no other prospective purchaser had beaten you to it! Remarkably it is only a mile from the home of another friend and former colleague of mine.

I will not deny that I am one of those who views with horror the prospect of having to move home. Not that I think it is anything to do with age: it is something I have done only three times and enjoyed but once, when I moved into a house which I had designed for myself, complete with new furniture and fittings (so no removals).

I cannot think which weather forecasts had led RadioG to believe that Monday was going to be sunny. Radio Nottingham and BBC Look North led me to expect heavy rain and probably thunderstorms. Did the barometer mislead? But it is perhaps better to view possible new homes in less than perfect weather (no ‘holiday romance’ effect).

Although I know the original meaning of ‘aftermath’ (“a second growth of grass, clover, or other grazing crop that grows on the same soil as an earlier crop”) I was not au fait with ‘offing’. When I am next waiting for the right conditions to enter harbour I shall be able to text friends with an accurate description of the situation.

Not really a comment, because it bears no relation to anything in RadioG’s blog, but I have at last discovered how hearing aids work. Nothing to it really; it’s just a bit of moulded plastic. But if anyone sees someone else wearing one, they immediately start shouting.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Bungus. Thank you for the explanation about hearing aids!! If you don't mind I shall 'borrow' it; for future use.