Thursday, June 15, 2006

Burton Joyce Day - England win 2 - 0

Just had to share this field of poppies with you. I know they are blurry and the only detail in the sky is a power-cable. But it was that sort of morning. In the 1950s I had a Leica , bought in Germany during National Service. With that you would have seen each poppy; only snag - they would have been black & white !!

Managed to find some good pictures of the new bungalow on Windows Live which is a sort of Google Earth thing but clearer. Sent them round to folk and I think I messed it up.

Difficult to know what to Blog. Bungus doesn't like 'computer stuff', Steve doesn't want to hear about 'aches and pains' and now Tracy says she's 'not interested in what we had for dinner'. I'm not serious - I shall just carry on 'blogging' to suit myself, or 'mesen' as they say in Nottingham/Mansfield. On the subject of food, yesterday I made a chicken curry (with the left-over chicken), a Delia recipe. I didn't have a green pepper so I used red; no Madras curry-powder so I used Jalfreezi, no cream so I used coconut-milk. Delia would have been proud of me - anyway, it was great. Y said it was Thai-ish. That would be the influence of the coconut milk.

An experiment now; I'm going to try to introduce a non-photo image. And it seems to have worked. Matt's daily cartoons in the Telegraph continue to delight. His wit is like a rapier. How he manages to keep it up day after day is a mystery. He can't have a stock to hand because he is always topical.

And he's so right! They are in such a mess! And to think that Y and I were nearly moved to tears when we saw Tony Blair standing on the steps of No.10.

Anyway, I'd better not start being 'political' because I would no doubt alienate further readers. Debra for one, more than likely.

David has just rung to invite us over on Saturday to sit outside their house and watch Long Eaton Carnival go past. That will be fun. And we are at Tracy's for lunch on Sunday and tomorrow we have the furniture valuer and Beryl wants me to go out with her in the morning, while she has a go at driving again. We don't think it is a good idea, but you have to admire her spirit.

More papers about the move in the post this morning. All good - thank goodness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk about turning disaster into triumph - but not very convincingly. I have just watched Argentina demolish Serbia & Montenegro 6-0 - they did look good.

The poppy pic is amazing. If it were by anyone but RadioG I would think the colour had been enhanced. I think it would be worth cloning out the wires.
Re cameras, Jack called in the other day, having just arrived back from Bulgaria, where he had purchased a WWII Leica (plus a compass with a sundial) for £150. He also brought back a 9” pestle (and mortar) which he had preferred to the smaller ones because it was older. I would estimate that it was made in May. He reckons it is brass but Sandra picked it up and is convinced that it is coated lead! As usual, he had enjoyed the holiday apart from his room being noisy, the food indifferent, and everybody had tried to rip him off.

The aerial photo was fine and gave a good idea of the surroundings. I just worry a bit about how much info is available to anyone with internet access – all we need is identity cards and Big Brother will have it made.

Like General Peckem (Catch 22) you appear to possess ‘a happy facility’. In your case it seems to be the ability to put your finger on the subjects of least interest to each one of your readers and, in each case, to step just beyond their boredom threshold. I, for one, take a sort of masochistic pleasure in this rare talent. As George Washington or somebody said, you have an inalienable right to bore the socks off everybody. So, as they say in Mansfield, “Yoh mo’n’t alter. Gerron wi’ it ‘n’ please yersen, youth.”

Like the cartoon. Although it is easy to have a pop at the judiciary, they do not make the laws. That said, there do seem to be some anomalies in sentencing. As Gilbert O’Sullivan sang, “Nothing Rhymes”.

I am now more nearly moved to tears at the sight of Tony Blair than at any other time. But most other politicians have the same effect and none of the alternatives are very appealing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the 'poppy pic praise'and when I've got a spare halfhour I'll prolly clone out the wires.

Jack will never alter. It's hard to understand why he goes on these trips.

A fine point this, but I would have thought that 'Mansfidlean' would have called for "yoth" rather than "youth". Sutton-ese would, and that is all of 2 miles away.