Sunday, June 04, 2006

Not really a Rest Day - but enjoyable


Promised Gertrude Jeykyll and here she is, surrounding a solitary Cistus which is the first bud on the bush to open. The delicate crumpled paper effect of the petals is always attractive. Only a few blooms on the rose are shown but the whole climbing bush looks great. Should add £2,000 to the value of the house. Speaking of which we are very annoyed with the agents. When our purchasers offered us so much less than we wanted I told the agents to keep marketing it until contracts were exchanged and that if we got a bigger offer, we would take that one instead. 'You can't do that anymore' I was told, there are now regulations to prevent gazumping. When we read the small print (or more accurately D/Sgt Y did) of the 'offer document' we had from the agents - there was a paragraph saying clearly that they had to continue marketing the property until contracts were exchanged.

On Monday morning, after checking with the solicitor, I intend to ring up and be very cross indeed and to say that if they aren't prepared to continue to market it, we will withdraw our acceptance of the offer. Not such a difficult decision because we went to look at a few, from the outside, this evening and there is nothing in the same league as ours. They are all tiny and hemmed in and two were on what looked like privately built council estate. I would have had great difficulty finding my own house. Peas in a pod, is the cliche I'm looking for. With regard to the agents in the morning, I do 'cross' rather well; I was trained in it!

Sorry to hear about Madeline's low-flying aircraft. They really do sound like a serious nuisance, not to mention the noisy sheep. Bungus has been adventurous and used a 'Holbeach at Sunset' picture as a 'desktop' to replace the 'plain green' he had. He will be putting things in a 'favorites' file next!! David rang to say they had returned from their caravanning week at the Peterborough Caravan Club site which had been good, but his Ford Galaxy is poorly. A reluctance to start reliably and apparently it's all to do with electronic chips and electronic keys and things. And to think, I once had a Morris 8 with a starting handle! Electronic keys has reminded me. Alex called in to borrow Yvonne's electronic key to Steve's electric gates so he can get in next week, and his wife Emma brought us half-a-dozen eggs from their own chickens. We had two for tea ad they were gorgeous. At lunchtime we had a full scale Sunday dinner, pork and all the trimmings, roast potatoes, and, -ignoring Bungus's disapproval-, Yorkshires. Traditionally pork should only be eaten when there is an 'r' in the month. However, it had been in the freezer since April so I guess that is OK. But I'd better stop banging-on about food.

Getting on well with Firefox. Once it is loaded it is much faster. When uploading pictures into the Blog the 'clock face icon' fairly zooms round. I'm sure that the time it takes to load is down to my machine, not the programme. I've printed some pages from the 'Welcome to Firefox' site because quite a few 'words' have a different meaning from IE and they need getting used to. Copy/paste for instance and Options etc., but I shall get there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the housing problems. It has ever been a tortuous and delibitating (a new word but not a bad one) path to stumble along. But it does very much seem that you are right to get stroppy with the agents - it is so typical these days for all sorts of people and firms, who should know better, to fail to proof read their own documents and/or to keep them up-to-date. At best it is intensely irritating; no wonder we older people are such curmudgeons. Go get 'em, Rover.

STOP PRESS. REMARKABLE NEWS. The breaking story is that Bungus now has RadioGandy in 'Favourites' - and surprisingly it works seconds quicker than the old method. He also has GMail in there but it still seems quicker to type it in and click 'Go'. This story could run.

It was at the Ferry Meadows Caravan Club site that Sandra waxed lyrical about the wonderful sunset. I fully agreed how marvellous it was until I realised that we were looking eastwards at the lights of Peterborough reflected from the clouds.
Car faults can be very difficult and expensive these days and I sympathise with David. But I too remember starting handles. And I also remember punctures (several each year), batteries too weak to risk switching on headlights, wipers that failed to function when going uphill, and the roadside littered with overheated vehicles if the air temperature approached 70F.

More about food please (however perverted your tastes) - and less about computers! You really do seemd determined to make life difficult for yourself (and your readers). What is the hurry? I ask. Nothing wrong with the old Amstrad WP, sez I, which gave you time to mash a pot of tea between switch-on and starting work.
And I have a conviction that records of Rates Payments, for instance, was more accurate and reliable when you caught a bus to the Town Hall, handed over your ten bob notes and they dipped a pen nib in a bottle of ink and wrote in a ledger than it is now in the computer age. On the other hand, of course, if no one had invented the infernal combustion engine, all our towns and cities would now be twenty feet deep in 'oss muck.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bungus. Lovely stuff. I will try to give you more food and less computers. But you see, I have to cater for my readership, and Mata Hari for instance, and most family probably prefer computers to food.

I DO agree about cars. The AA, and RAC must now be very wealthy because, even though cars seldom break down these days, people continue to pay their annual subs. Our Subscription Library, Bromley House, still enters one's books in a big hard-backed ledger, which is part of their charm.

How did you get such a lovely, tidy little font? Can I have one.? Ha Ha! Please ignore that bit. When I previewed what I had written Blogger had converted the font for me. Clever 'eh?