Saturday, June 10, 2006

Another lovely summer's day

Wowee! Pictures uploaded like 'a rat up a drainpipe'. Surely people are not still watching the football. Still, I suppose I am glad England won rather than lost. During the match my broadband connection was as lightning. Nobody else fighting for contention I guess.

Pictures 1 and 3 are the basic wild version of Meadow Cranesbill which we prefer to the more cultivated varieties. The picture in the middle is of a lady blackbird relaxing on the back lawn. She looks as if she has been shot and mortally wounded but a few moments later got up and flew away, having enjoyed her time 'hanging loose' in the bright sunlight.

Very little to blog today. I exchanged a few emails this morning but I think people have gone into World Cup mode. One strange thing to report is about 'ant powder' - each year we are troubled by ants and Y very carefully goes round the outside-walls with this proprietary white powder to deter them. Also indoors if any are seen. This year, due to the need to show potential buyers round, we decided to omit the powder in case we drew attention to the need for it. And, wait for it, NO Ants.

A final little word on the pleasures of Firefox. I have a 'tab' set for my Blogger dashboard and yesterday evening for an hour, it announced 'Blogger - down for maintenance' I hadn't asked it to do that - but ten times more courteous than IE6 I thought. IE6 isn't into giving explanations is it? It just packs up doing things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you mention football? I’d say 2.00 pm Saturday was a good time to go shopping.. Apart from the disappointing second half performance by England, there were two other cracking good matches.

Pretty pics. I would have thought the geraniums were Johnson’s Blue but you are the expert. Sandra prefers the paler shades, edging into mauve.
I like sunbathing blackbirds. Today we had a wren feeding her young but no chance of a worthwhile photo. I understand that wrens are now prolific; 4th most common British bird or something.

If you would like some ants, I have a compost bin full (but no other infestation0. I suspect the white powder is 98% borax..

I ‘ . . .don’t know much about history . . .’ or about 1E6. I would have guessed (NT Kernel keeps rearing his irritating head again!) that it might be a London address. And Firefox sounds like an American fighter plane to me.

Anonymous said...

I bought the 'geranium' seed from a wild-flower place in Norfolk and, as far as we know, it's pukka Meadow Cranesbill. Difficult for you to identify from the colour because my camera doesn't always do justice. As you can see from the pictures, the blues differ, and yet both were of the same plant. Maybe the light had changed.

Is borax a know ant-killer then? IE6 is Internet Explorer 6 (which I'm assuming Danny put on your new computer). Re Firefox. It is excellent and can stand any amount of 'p***-taking'. Next time you visit I'll give you a demo.

Just showing off with the HTML code