Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Another busy day - Weather cooler

Just a quick Blog - as it were! Because, having established a daily routine, I don't want to break it.

The picture proved tricky - again but I've found a fairly foolproof method of forcing its hand. I wont bore you with the details but if anyone decides in the future to use 'blogger' I shall be on hand with 'ways and means'. In the old days, if anyone queried an Inspector's decision, they would invariably be told that it was a clause in the 'Ways and Means Act'. The photograph is an old rose which we don't know the name of. It always does well and is reasonably black-spot free which you can see from the rude health of the foliage. People wouldn't grow it now though because each bloom only lasts 3/4 days, if you are lucky. Everywhere in the garden there are old fashioned shrub roses, too mature to dig up and move and in any-case it is completely the wrong time of year. Let's hope the new owners enjoy them.

Our day has again been pre-occupied with 'moving' matters. I sorted my emails etc., this morning and the buyers' surveyor arrived around 9.30am. He was very thorough and did a survey for their mortgage and then a more detailed 'full survey'. He was here over an hour and we made him coffee. A very affable young man who, when he was completing his paperwork, volunteered the information that the property was 'structurally sound and nothing of substance needed doing to it'. What a relief eh? Then we went to Nottingham to take the completed forms she had requested plus ID, passport, driving licence, current utility bills etc. for photocopying. We drove down, due to the awful weather, and managed to park just outside Browne Jacobson, and it was the first time we had actually met the young lady who is handling the matter. The earliest we could move is Jul 18th due to commitments. She considered that to be reasonable for the purchasers and will put in hand searches, contracts et al. The solicitors is close to St. Peter's Church Hall so where else for a sandwich etc.?

At home we carried on. The TBD list is endless. I rang NTL and established that they have a cable on Longridge Road even though not to the particular address. But if I give them 10 days notice, and take my modem, with me they will install free. I'm pleased, because the service I've had from them has always been fine. Debra's computer is fixed so I redirected her to the Blog for a summary of current events. I was very happy to chat to her as well, of course, - having just re-read the previous sentence it sounded as if I didn't.

Tracy has just rung and she and I have agreed that we must persuade Yvonne to have the removal firm do the packing. Yvonne complained again tonight of back-ache, after having carried washing-baskets of clothes from the drier in the garage and then standing and ironing, so why she insists that she wants to do the packing defeats me. We will work on her!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that the surveyor said that his report will be favourable. I have no wish to alarm you, as the greatest likelihood is that he was not being deceptive, but, as a natural pessimist - on the grounds that expecting the worst is less likely to bring disappointment - I feel that I must just warn against complacency. I recall a similar comment when selling my parents' house only to discover, within days, that the surveyor had reported that roof needed replacing. My own (internal and external) visual survey told me that it was as perfect as any 70 year old roof could be. That view was accepted by the prospective purchaser and a more recent owner has insinuated a 'loft bedroom' (which I would not have suggested as it seemed obvious to me that there was a much better solution possible, with en-suite, by extending sideways off the quarter landing over a garage). Now I'm showing off!

Anonymous said...

Not showing-off Bungus; just airing your professional expertise. If the subject of 'chucking people out of pubs' ever crops up, I shall air mine !