Sunday, June 11, 2006

Another Sunny Day - Barometer High

I thought would publish these two side by side to show 'dusk yesterday' and 'dawn today'; more or less as an experiment in low-light photography. In both I used the cameras 'night-scene' setting. The setting doesn't fire a flash but just leaves the shutter open until the camera (in its infinite wisdom) decides that enough light as been absorbed. The shutter is open a long long time and a tripod is essential. I have a mini-tripod which stands comfortably on my bedroom window-sill. With regard to Picture 1, it would have been possible to brighten it muchly with Picasa, but in my opinion that would have defeated the whole object of the excercise. A change from Flowers, Trams, and Renishaw Hall at least. The flashing Picasa is just another experiment - in my newly discovered HTML code. But personally I think it is rather annoying and I can't see me using it very often. A change from 'bold' or 'italics' though. If Bungus gets hold of it, I shudder to think what will happen. .n.b. As I look out of my bedroom-window (7.50pm) those pigeons are 'at it' again. This time though, on the garage-roof - a much more stable platform for such activities!

David told me this morning that they had spent yesterday sailing at Carsington and had had a super time. Sky had tried a 'wind-surfing board' and had managed to remain upright for around 15ft. Roughly a thousand times further than her grand-dad could have achieved! Her friend Hervey though, had stayed up for 40ft - he obviously has the knack and a good sense of balance. A lovely day for it. The old barometer in the hall has been stuck between Fair and Very Dry for about a week now. And tapping it (absolutely essential - it's a man-thing) makes no difference.

A high honour for Ray. He has been made a Moderator on his Calendar-of-Updates forum. If we lose him from WUforums a 'period of introspection' by certain people is called for. He has helped so many people, in such depth, and with regard to so many problems. And all because of a school-kid who prolly needs a 'clip round the ear' more than anything else. I don't think I can be accused of 'trolling' on my own Blog - can I?

I have turned down Bungus's kind offer of some replacement Ants. But we do have a superfluity of flies at the moment. We don't use aerosol fly-sprays any longer - we whack the beasts with an old-fashioned 'fly squat'. Not only is it extremely satisfying when one gets a clean kill - it is infinitely better for the environment. We've got two - a green one and a blue one. Both from IKEA and beautifully designed - of course! Good balance, springy etc., Oh dear - Tracy will be saying "You should get out more". But we do, we do, love. She has invited me (and her Mum, naturally) for Sunday lunch on Fathers Day which is something to look forward to. National Trust Committee meeting on Tuesday, then Father's Day, then our Tenby Holiday. Such excitement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting pics and, for their purpose, quite right to resist enhancement (in my humble …).
I don’t understand the ‘flashing Picasa’ reference – perhaps RadioG is being deliberately obtuse in view of his following remarks – and so far I have been unable to gain access to HTML. That is something with which I had no difficulty in Windows 98 but, having just tried again, I think I may have inadvertently downloaded Firefox which I am not sure is likely to be a good thing.
The remark about the stable platform for intimate activity reminds me of the one about Mr Hardway, who did it standing up in a hammock (or canoe). I’ll bet you thought I was going to mention rocking horses on the stable platform, didn’t you?

Although, so far, I have never seriously doubted my sexuality, neither have I ever felt the need to tap a barometer – but it takes all sorts, as Mr Barratt said..

If I had my Enigma machine I would be able to translate the para about Ray into meaningful words. It all sounds rather sinister to a non-aficionado. Is ‘trolling on your own Blog’ a bit like ‘blowing your own trumpet’ or ‘ploughing a lone furrow’?

I think it is called a fly ‘swat’ – not ‘squat’ which not only sounds rather coarsely unpleasant even for a fly but also reminds me of another joke which is certainly not repeatable here. Do you choose the blue or green swat depending upon the gender of the victim? I suggest that would make it a more interesting activity, even as an anecdote, even for Tracy.

I have warned you before about the dangers of overdoing the stimulating activities so, on this occasion, I shall refrain …