Friday, May 08, 2009

A quick blog only - Y in Palmers Green - Fierce Wind

.
A quick blog only because I've bought a new laptop. Therefore I need to be off the internet while I install it.

The Asus Eee was a fun idea but over time, I found the screen too small for regular use. I was sitting there with a magnifying glass to read small script and then thought "I need a stronger magnifying glass". ......... With interest rates being so low the money was doing nothing in the Building Society except lose value due to inflation, so I replaced the laptop rather than the magnifying glass.

The pictures today are both from our WoW outing to Strelley and in a wall near the Church were these attractively weathered stones. Altogether I took around 12 shots of the more interestingly textured examples. The link is to a very illuminating website called The Monks Way which I seemed to have completely missed on Wednesday.

The Church also has some heavily eroded brickwork and, from the evidence of the shutters, has current problems with vandalism. It would have been nice to see inside but unfortunately, if understandably, it was locked.

This morning I dropped Y off at the Station for what may prove her last trip to Palmers Green.

When she arrived she rang me with the excellent news that Debra has exchanged contracts with her purchaser and is still hoping to move as early as 15th May. Debra is sufficiently wordly wise to know that until the money is actually in the bank, things can still go wrong. But she is 90% of the way there.

Roy called in for half an hour and we had a pleasant computer chat. I have tried to show about attaching pictures and I'm sure he now understands the principle even though his system is different from mine. When he returns from holiday I think he is willing to give Googlemail a whirl - I'm sure it would be more intuitive and user-friendly.

The wind here is quite scary. I've just checked the Watnall Weather Centre page and it says we have a Westerly between 12mph and 33mph. As I drove home from Nottingham I saw a Horse Chestnut branch down - it looked sad as it was complete with candles.

My responses to your previous comments

Bob...... I thought 'anthropomorphise' meant to accord human characteristics to animals. Did I do that? I merely meant to say that I have known instances where foxes kill without the intention of eating. i.e. breaking the necks of a hen-hut full of chickens and leaving none living. Maybe taking just one carcase away to eat.

We had a cat "Mr. Johnson" who would catch and kill pigeons and make no effort at all to eat them. He would bring them to the back door and deposit them there. Perhaps he wanted us to cook them for him.

Jill .... Thanks for nice words about the poppy photo. More will surely follow as we are moving into poppy season.

And thanks for the support over the bloodlust of foxes.

If David's lot 'fish & chipped' in The Magpie, I guess he will add a blog comment to that effect. Helen did say on the postcard they were given some additional crunchy bits for free. That used to be traditional in this area too.

Hope you find the flower identification book but if you don't there's no need to worry. I don't want the responsibility of you, or Ro, or both of you together lugging tumble-driers out of the way just to check.

.......................................

Quotation time .....

"An election is coming. Universal peace is declared and the foxes have a sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry"


Sleep tight - hope to catch you tomorrow
,

3 comments:

bob said...

What a cracking snap of the weathered stone.
Love it.

I do hope Debra’s move goes through hitch free.

Strong winds here too.

Your ‘anthropomorphism’ definition will do for me.
But I thought you were attributing intent to the animals as opposed to instinct and, therefore, ‘blaming’ them.
My view is that when foxes enter a chicken coop they are in an unnatural, man-made situation. In ‘the wild’, although I understand the main part of their diet is berries, they are programmed to kill everything they find in order to survive.
It’s the same with Polar Bears.
I think domesticated cats and Jack Russells may be different, in killing to please their owners.

There are at least two renowned chippies in Whitby.
In Mansfield one had to ASK for (free) ‘batter bits’ – I was brought up not to be so 'forward'.

Anonymous: ?
You do occasionally see ‘anything like that now’, eg, The Bold Forester at Mansfield.
I admire but cannot approve, having been taught to believe that buildings should reflect the age in which they are built rather than being pastiches.

Yvonne said...

Graham: contrary to what I said I've managed to get on to your blog - but only a quickie as Andy is just serving dinner and we have 'Robin Hood' to look forward to.

A very busy day: iceskating (took a picture of the ?1930s ice stadium ....), ballet and then swimming! It's all go here!

I've also taken a photo of the absolutely beautiful wisteria in Debra's garden ..... please, please, don't let me become a photograph fanatic!

Sports Desk: Andy says Drogba's outburst has done a tremendous disservice to Chelsea as all media interest is now devoted to that - and FIFA can ignore th appalling refereeing in Wednesday's match.

Jill said...

Those weathered stones look almost sculptured, and have a charm all of their own. I love a good bit of brickwork - we regularly drive past a cemetery, the brick pillars separating the lengths of railing have beautiful curved insets, and semi-circular tops to them, probably 1930s, but you don't see anything like that now.

It was very windy (a cold one, too) down here yesterday - a large horse-chestnut tree in next door's garden was covered with its usual dark pink flowers, almost stripped of them this morning. This tree usually denotes the start of my hay fever season!

After your quote I am tempted to add 'and pigs may fly'.....