Friday, November 02, 2007

Weekend Off - Warm and humid

Picture 1 is from WoW at Tansley and is entitled - "Laptop addict found slumped in car having just learnt how to operate his infra-red shutter release" - Reg was holding my camera and I clicked the device so I'm not too sure who the author is.

And thanks for all your comments. I'll try to cover them now. If I miss anything please forgive me.

AnonymousRob Your comments about camera-clubs are sound. I think a streak of masochism is necessary to suffer judging over a prolonged period. Bungus may have a point about the more 'discursive' arrangements in Writers Clubs but even there, in my experience, competitions are 'judged'. I used to judge Derby Writers Club competitions for many years.

I like the Bill Brandt quote and I've always been a Chuck Close fan. When he was in his 'photo-realist' phase I remember a picture of a large liner arriving at Manhattan and it was eerily photographic, but you couldn't have placed a camera in the spot necessary for the picture. Both the Chuck Close quotes are bang on the button - thanks !

And here is a link to some car-parking arrangement at Lumsdale Valley. But closer down to the bridge at the bottom of the hill there seemed to be room for about 4 cars to park. Bearing in mind that we were there at an off-peak period. Pun completely unavoidable.

Bungus And Rob. I'm glad we've sorted out the HTML tags and yours did work Bungus. You are no doubt right about the house-sale. I must be getting paranoid. Re the lintel, the builder said that when the bungalow was built it wasn't customary to put a lintel, because there are only 2 rows of bricks between window and roof and the weight supported is negligible, he said "about 6 bags of sugar" but I guess that is an exaggeration. He made a similar point about the 'bracers' in the roof.

Re the PG tips. He was speaking specifically of tea-bags which, as I think we know, are made of sweepings up and leftovers but are caffeine-laden and produce a strong brew. He described it as having "the kick without the horse". No. I didn't watch the TV drama but here is a link to it anyway Britz I am afraid it doesn't sound like my sort of thing in spite of your strong recommendation.

Jill. Going back a day Jill, you are quite right about the diet/cancer link. Y says it is so ridiculous that people will just ignore sensible dietary advice. And we are all living too long and suffering from conditions that our forebears would have been dead before they had a chance to catch.

Picture 2 is all that is left of Reg's green tomatoes. Not one remained green and we have been enjoying them for weeks now.

Quote for the day:-

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one"

George Bernard Shaw

Can't fault yer George!

I've found a nice smiley for our WalkingonWednesday's activities I might use it, but only occasionally, because it is abit in your face I suppose. "Strictly come Dancing" soon and some toast or a sandwich. Sleep tight, see you tomorrow, and I hope I haven't forgotten anything.
.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only ever judged and was judged at Nottingham Writers' Club where the only person to read a judgment was the person being judged. I did quite well, being judged Prose Writer of the Year - in the year after 'guess who' had retired from the fray (having won it the year before).

Whata surprise to discover that my italics worked! They didn't on the comment that I typed! ???

Sorry you do not feel compelled to watch BRITZ if the opportunity ever arises again. I hope you will not deter others. I would have expected anyone interested in what is going on around them in the world to consider it essential viewing. Drama (as fiction or faction) often reveals the greater truth.

Anonymous said...

I cannot bring myself to agree with the Chuck Close statement that there are no great paintings produced accidentally (or whatever it was).

I think the builder's view on the lintol coincides with what i thought most likely (viz, the wall plate is strong enough to do the job - even if it doesn't meet current Building regs requirements which also include roof bracing).
I was once privileged to read a Specification writen, I believe in the 1940s, by a well-known (and well-respected) Mansfield architect which called for 'a lintel over the garage door that is long enough and strong enough'

I don't understand the PG Tips reference. The essential of REAL builders' tea is that it was tea leaves, condensed milk, water and sugar all boiled together in a blue billy can. That kept you going.

Don't worry Hannah; it will come.

Anonymous said...

last night my attempt to use italics failed (having worked the night before). This may be because I don't know my HTML from my RSPCA.
But let's try again:
today, a handy friend is coming round to fix no less than ten multi-point sockets on walls in more convenient positions (see Useful Tip: blog comment Wed Oct 31)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it worked!

Anonymous said...

I decided that BRITZ wasn't my sort of thing either. But I am looking forward to a repeat of 'Shooting the Past' tonight - later than I would like - on BBC2. I remember liking it so much the first time round, so hope I shall not be disappointed!

Tomorrow it is a new adaption of 'A Room with a View' and the new Poliakov drama - I think the new one will win (though may well tape the other), I loved the film, can't really see a reason to do it again, and don't like the look of it too much from various trailers.....

'Strictly Dancing' and tinned salmon sandwiches loom....


Hope Y's health continues to improve.