Sunday, November 04, 2007

Amother misty morning - still mild

I'm not sure that, as is alleged, I could bore for England on the subject of misty mornings. However, I will concede that I'm probably worth a county trial. And Picture 1 will just about make it into my panel of 3,420 exhibits.

Gorgeous this morning and I suppose 6.55am is not as eccentric as when I'm at it in May.

Done lots of odd jobs today as well as Steak, Chips and button mushrooms at lunchtime. The steak had been a few hours in a Teriyaki marinade and cooked a treat. I have the butcher cut sirloin steak about an inch thick so I know I can keep it succulent. Then we had Xmas pudding and custard for pudding.

Picture 2 is to prove to Bungus that, whilst I may be intransigent over trivial matters like politics or current affairs, I am Mr. Flexibility when it comes to important things like brands of vinegar. As you can see the Sarsons has nearly gone so Blakeleys is the replacement which I can't review because we have'nt used it yet.

Interesting Jill that you and Ro share Dr. Johnson's view of cucumber. He said "Cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing".

I also did a couple of prints of Hannah for Y which those of you who have her blog address will have seen. They had to dress up in Victorian outfits and she looked delightful in a white apron/smock and her hair in ringlets. Also Hannah published a story by Miles about their day at the Zoo which was remarkably good bearing in mind he is only 6. Had a nice chat to David this morning and they are all OK - I didn't keep him long because they were in the process of boiled eggs for breakfast. I also brought myself up-to-date with WU forums which I like to do from time to time because it is such a helpful and friendly forum. Quite different from Amateur Photographer for instance where they can be positively ill-tempered.

Bungus added a comment about ArtDaily and an ArtDeco video and the reference must have confused some readers. ArtDaily is a daily online newspaper devoted to Art and including matters Photographic and is an excellent read. The Art videos vary between brilliant and hopeless - one of the current ones about the Sistine Chapel falls into the second category.

Tomorrow I'm taking Y to Burton Joyce for the bonfire but I'm not stopping. If driving alone these days I like to do it in the daylight. It will work out well because AnonymousRob alias 'nifty googler' is nipping round to give me an hour's tuition in matters where I need it. Which gives him a pretty wide scope.

'Strictly come dancing' soon and it will be nteresting to see who is in the bottom two. My guess is John Barnes and Kate Garroway And I guess if they 'dance off' the judges will to keep John Barnes. We shall see. If the result is really dramatic I may re-open the blog with a 'stop-press buttletin' (nicer than bulletin, so I'll leave it) and earlier I had 'moisty morning' and it was too, but I corrected that one.

Quote for the day

"Why is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person?"


........... Sleep tight folks. Catch you tomorrow.

p.s. Kate wasn't even in the dance-off, to her relief and surprise. The dance-off was between John and Dominic and yet again they kept John Barnes in, which Y and I were pleased about. And Jill will be pleased to see the back of her 'twerp' I'm sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit I am a fan of roasted vegetables but haven't had any for a long while. Now the days are becoming moisty I must find a buttle-tin to do some in!

See you on the morrow RG.

Rob

PS I think I'm becoming addicted to emphasising words.

Anonymous said...

3423 I think.

Picky as ever, I cannot accept custard with Xmas pud. It must be rum sauce (or brandy at a push if the rum has run out).

Photo 2 demands a confession.
I transfer the Blakeley's vinegar to a Sarsons bottle; a) because it pours or sprinkles more easily, b) because it is an attractive shape more suitable for the table.

Guests for lunch again today so Sandra cooked a gammon joint which we had with mash, leeks in white sauce, carrots (plus broccoli, cauli and cabbage for those who wanted it) and, just for me, some leftover tinned mushy peas which I had opened yesterday to have with haddock & chips from our chippy. Tomorrow (washing day) it will be pea soup (not mushy) made with the ham stock, followed by (leftover) califlower cheese and jacket potato.
Marguerits Patten would applaud.

I am sure I would have enjoyed today's quote if I could have remembered the beginning by the time I got to the end!

Anonymous said...

LAST WORD (?)
Kathryn Flett (Observer TV critic) on BRITZ

Peter Kosminsky … rich plots and taut characters and taless well and powerfully told.
Started promisingly … Sohail … with MI5 … spying on his friends.
(Nasima) his sister’s conversion from medical student … to Islamist … less convincing. … policy not passion that lit Nasima’s … bonfire, and however much one may be opposed to this government’s fondness for justice bills, anti-terror bills and asylum and immigration bills, Nasima’s justifiable anger would have (more likely) been manifest by switching from studying medicine to law, instead of heading for a training camp in Pakistan … before returning to England to fulfil her grim destiny.

My comment;
It would have been a totally different story that would not have worked so well dramatically. Yes, it demonstrated (perhaps sometimes unlikely) extremes. But, by so doing, it served its purpose.


… too long (and) something about its dramatic tidiness … left me ultimately unsatisfied.

My comment;
Long, yes, but always compelling. And it demonstrated the dichotomy facing Muslims (in particular British Muslims).
I think it should be essential (compulsory?) viewing in every Sixth Form (Fifth Form?) along with the history of Nazi Germany, the Indian Mutiny, etc, etc.