Monday, September 10, 2007

Nottingham - Bourne Ultimatum - Jacket - Mobile

Picture 1 is our new Market Square on a lovely sunny September morning. Photography people will bleat about all the empty space in the foreground and hold straight edges up as far as I should crop it to.

All I an say is 'boo sucks' to you. I wanted to convey the 'piazza cum plaza' effect which the designers have achieved. I know there are critics but give it 50 years or so and you will all love it. Already it is well used and people sit happily on the surrounding walls and things and moan about the fountains occasionally failing. All working this morning by the way !

And in the case of men (mostly) watch the pretty girls walk past. Nottingham has always had a reputation for pretty girls and now of course, we import them from Vietnam, Korea, China, Poland, Slovenia not to mention the Caribbean et al. Splendid !

This Velocette was parked at the garage forecourt wall when I filled up with petrol. Isn't it glorious. I didn't hear it running but I can just imagine the deep throaty roar from such a long stroke cylinder.

Bikers never quite grow out of it. And that jam-pot suspension - so much sought after as a feature.

Anyway, what we were actually doing down Nottingham was going to the cinema to see The Bourne Ultimatum. It was alpha plus and as yesterday I posted a link to the official website and trailer this link please clicky is a load of stills which will give you some idea. To describe it as action-packed is an understatement. And if the CIA's surveillance facilities are a quarter of those portrayed we all have cause for concern. What I fear is that they were under rather than over stated. But an excellent film. The baddies were bad and the goodies were believable and the good girls were pretty - what more can you ask ? Albert Finney was first-rate as a baddy doctor/psychologist. Gosh - hasn't he aged since Saturday Night, Sunday Morning ?

After that we did some shopping. Spontaneously, a linen jacket for me from The Big Men's Shop and by design, a new Mobile Phone for Y from Carphone Warehouse. She settled for a Samsung with a 2mp camera - the only trouble is we can't figure how to open the battery compartment. But it is a Karen day tomorrow and she will know how.

How lovely to welcome 'Aunty Etty' to the blog. Her comment was such a nice surprise I hope she will add others from time to time. I am not going to 'remove her mystery' by identifying her. If she wants to do that she is more than capable.

For quote of the day I love this :-

"Mustard's no good, without roast beef"

Chico Marx

A busy week ahead. National Trust coach trip to Dudmaston Hall on Wednesday, unfortunately clashing with my Walking on Wednesday. And then Y to Burton Joyce on Thursday...................

Hope everyone sleeps well. And I'll catch you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS
I have now managed to gain access to the Banksy link. Very wry.
A witty and legitimate use of manipulation of images.
I wish I had thought of it.
Well, I have now! Watch this space.

Anonymous said...

bungus said...

Sorry, but I preferred Slab Square as it was and even more as it was before that. For me the only commendable feature about the new one is the water and even that is not very exciting. I feel that it now has a distinctly bland yet sinister, authoritarian, communistic feel to it; a touch of the Tianamans.
And the girls were there in the 50s (if they are the same ones, I don’t suppose they will be showing so much leg now, and I don’t wish to get our host any more excited by mentioning stockings and suspenders).
If it’s open space you want, give me Shirebrook Market Place any time. And Mansfield has got more balls. Or, if trad takes your fancy, Newark or Retford.

I know it is stating the obvious but it is not just Albert Finney who has aged since “Saturday Night & Sunday Morning”.
But, on reflection, I frequently used to feel that I had aged BETWEEN Saturday night and Sunday morning.

I find Chico Marx’s quote simplistic and inaccurate. Mustard is good with pork pie and ham too.

A busy week ahead. National Trust coach trip to Dudmaston Hall on Wednesday...
Y to Burton Joyce on Thursday...

Anonymous said...

I do hope this house works out for you, am keeping everthing possible crossed! I love the view - I have enlarged the photos, it isn't actually a bungalow is it, at least not a conventional one. Is it on different levels? And is that your garage on the left, where the lamp post is? I take it that the area is a suburb of Nottingham, is it near Tracey or Steven?

Hope the weather stays fine for your outing tomorrow - it is R's birthday and I have got tickets to do the Buckingham Palace tour - he doesn't know yet.....

Anybody see Martin Bell in Andrew Marr's Sunday morning programme (usually well worth watching, we decide what paper to get after the reviews!), he was making the same points as Bungus, Basra lacked the 'human interest' story that 'Madeline's' has. Of course I am intrigued with it, but I don't read all the pages and pages about it. The McCanns certainly sort out publicity at least in the beginning, one would have thought if they had been involved they would not have done so. And how they were supposed to have hidden a body for three weeks when they were being followed eveywhere by press etc, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Exactly Jill (the Madeleine story). It just doesn't add up does it? And the 'arguido' status could go on for a year!
I foresee either what is widely believed to be a miscarriage of justice or an unsatisfactory shrug (more Gallic than Portuguese?).
I suppose that it is most likely to eventually just fizzle out and there will be no Agatha Christie like denouement.
Whatever the true story, it is very sad and I cannot think it will have done much for the McCann's relationship.

Will all readers please ignore the last para of my earlier comment. It makes no sense having been cropped! (with reason).
Another mystery? Another Gallic shrug!

Anonymous said...

Responding again to Jill’s comment:
I cannot speak for the present generation of architects but in the second half of the last century most of us tried to avoid using the word ‘bungalow’ it was a ’house’ (on one floor).
But I do recall a colleague telling us that he had designed a bungalow for a client who, after Planning Approval, had a change of mind and asked if he could possibly have an upper floor.
“Well, I suppose you could,” said Mike “But that's a different storey.”
This area of greater Nottingham is notoriously steep which gives interesting, sometimes problematical, changes of level. In this case it appears to me that the garage* will be at the lowest level (to the back of the house), the main living area one floor up, and the bedrooms in the roof .
* I am as sure as can be that the building on the left (by the lamp post) is the neighbouring house (or bungalow).

Aunty Etty said...

Hello all,
To sate everyone's curiosity about the layout of the new house... The garage is up the driveway which is in the gap between the wall and the hedge... under the lounge... the lounge/diner is split level. There are two bedrooms in the roof and one downstairs next to the bathroom and kitchen. The windows you can see on the hill side of the house are one side of the lounge, the two others are the downstairs bedroom and bathroom. There you go... clear as mud! Etty.