Sunday, September 09, 2007

Lon Eaton - Shopping - Naughty Lunch

Just one more picture from Somersby Road; from the dining area looking into the long lounge from where the views are.

Probably best if I stop 'banging on' about it because it might tempt providence. And that would be awful.. Everyone is thrilled for us, and it would be almost unbearable if it went wrong, again !

Lovely bright morning although it greyed over after lunch. We nipped down the M1 to Long Eaton at about 9.30am to return Sky's camera storage card. Helen made us a coffee and then we walked across the road to David's two lock-up garages. They are re-furbishing them and the roof was off, brickwork had been rebuilt and pointed and Picture 2 shows Sky getting on with it and handling a screwdriver with skill. Y and I were very taken with her 'safety gloves'. I'm very pleased that David and Helen don't have a sexist attitude to what girls should/shouldn't tackle.

Our trip was a short one because people were busy. Nearly everyone knows about the house sale now except John and Yvonne because they are away on holiday. But I spoke to Alannah who has been left in charge and she very competently took a message summarising the position.

Steven reports that his change of tablets and anti-inflammatory medication seems to be working and his knee is a little easier.

As it was Sunday, and we deserved a nice meal which was not necessarily 'good for us' when we returned at lunchtime having done the shopping, I cooked Picture 2. You don't need me to describe it. The sirloin steak (recommended by Reg) was from Lidl. It was a satisfactory colour and well 'marbled' so I took a chance and it was good. The butcher can keep his meat for the time being.

Bungus is interested in 'further and better' particulars as barristers say, so here goes. I phoned through my order on Thursday morning as I have done for years and agreed to collect it from their new 'farm shop'. When I got there, there was no order. Always before it has been put together and ready and wrapped and in a plastic bag for me to pick-up on Saturday morning. There was a large queue at the meat counter and Mrs. R was manning the till. She offered me a chair and said that P would go an get my order soon. Nothing happened. So I asked. P said he would have to deal with 'this queue' first. This queue now included people who had arrived after me. After about 10 minutes I left and when I got home I rang and asked if I could be given a time when I could collect my order. Apparently they were unexpectedly busy, and I should have gone and stood in the queue. I asked what was the point in phoning through an order and didn't get a satisfactory reply. So I politely told him to 'stuff the order'.

This quote took my fancy :-

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult"

Rita Rudner

Do you think it might be possible soon to have a MaCann free news-day ? Google News tells me that there are 4,428 news items about it. Our troops' hazardous withdrawal from Basra was the subject of 164 news items. I rest my case !

For Banksy fans only. Read about Banksy here - a major 21st century talent !

Tomorrow we need to go to Nottingham to buy Y a new mobile phone and we are also intending to catch The Bourne Ultimatum which has good write-ups and looks exciting. No doubt we shall use the tram and might taken sandwiches into the 11.50am performance.


......Nice quiet evening, coffee, read and plenty radio. Sleep tight folks.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a stunning view! Puts me in mind of the Gus Elen song which included the following chorus:
Oh it really is a wery pretty garden
And Chingford to the eastward could be seen;
Wiv a ladder and some glaasses,
You could see to 'Ackney Marshes,
If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

Sandra and I can quite understand your annoyance at the butcher and think your reaction was correct. It appears that your custom is undervalued. Nothing new there then; my mother was always of the opinion that regular orders make butchers complacent.
But I hope ypou will soon find another reliable source of British meat. Lidl sounds unlikely to be it.
Today we had a rabbit pie (made in Nottingham, I hope from wild rabbit) purchased at the Newark Food Fair l;ast Sunday (and frozen). It was accompanied by potatoes, runner beans and cauliflower from Emma’s allotment (the carrots were Tesco’s). Lovely!

Nice Rita Rudner quote.

I am surprised that you should find the interest aroused by the McCann saga remarkable. We all know that journalism has little to do with merit or real importance.
Basra is comparatively straightforward; missing children there are not a mystery and grieving parents are less photogenic. And Iraq will still be there next week. So, despite its greater importance, it has less ‘human interest’ than an unusually mysterious family story. And the media, as always is ‘only doing its job’ which means behaving in a deplorable manner.
Like most people, I am intrigued by the McCann story. Whatever the truth, I cannot comprehend how the McCanns (and Mrs McCann’s parents) have managed to behave with such dignity and composure for so long. If it was a work of fiction I think the author would now, after the rather unlikely twists of plot, be wondering how it should be resolved.
I think it still has legs nd will follow it with interest.

I still find the idea of eating in the cinema strange (beyond a box of chocolates or a tub of Eldorado at the interval, which will give you an idea how long it is since I went ‘to the pictures’).

Afraid the Banksy link didn’t work, which is a pity.

Aunty Etty said...

You've been Googled!!

Glad you're both happy.

Any questions e mail me...

lynette.newbery@nuh.nhs.uk

Regards,
Lynette