Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Nat Trt outing Dudmaston - Much Wenlock en route

On the way to Dudmaston (see previous days for links) we stopped in the Shropshire village of Much Wenlock, which was quite delightful.

Many beautiful timber-framed buildings. Unfortunately, rather a spoiler, I noticed at least one pseudo-timber framed building where the upper walls had been stuccoed, painted white and the pretend timber-framing painted thereon in black. Ho hum! as Ray would say. However, we had a first class meal in a pub and I found an excellent old book shop.

Y had walked ahead and was talking to Sue and Gordon and when I caught up I said I was going back for a browse. Much laughter. Apparently Y had said "G will not be able to walk past that bookshop". A lady who knows her husband indeed. Inside I found an early edition of Jenny Joseph's "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple". Couldn't resist it.

The sign in Picture 1 was attached to the wall of the Old Police Station and I have reproduced it in black and white because it seemed appropriate. Also, I have left the brickwork in to convey scale.

We then drove to Dudmaston which has much to commend it. I'm not publishing a picture because you all know what a stately home looks like.

Interesting Art collection and some v. interesting Sculpture including small works by Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore and a remarkable charcoal sketch for a sculpture by Lyn Chadwick. Both Y and I love sketches and preliminary drawings because they are so real and you feel close to the artist. Well worth going for ! Most of the rooms in the house seemed small and a little claustrophobic. They would probably have been better with a timed-entry system to prevent overcrowding. If you really want to see the house there are some pictures clicky here - not mine but their's.

I decided to do the fading dog roses instead.

As promised, a short bloggette only. I am indebted to Dr. Johnson (as so often) for my quote :-
"If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.

Uneventful return journey, conversations, Y back in time to catch the Football Match - England v Russia and it's 3 nil in our favour at the moment. An excellent match she tells me !

..... That's it for today. Not exhausted, but close to. Sleep tight.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

England v Russia was certainly a good open match with an unexpectedly convincing result. Sound performances from all the England players; those who found themselves in the team because of injuries to more fancied stars gave particularly valuable peformances.

Went out for lunch today in the north of the county (The Blscksmith's Arms at Caythorpe). The steak & ale pie was excellent.