Friday, September 21, 2007

Drains - Capocci's - Atonement - New 'Phone

I've not started carrying commercials but this is my new mobile 'phone. Identical to Y's so we can learn them together. My first thought was to take a snap but then I realised that 'google images' would no doubt do the necessary - and it did.

The 'loss adjusters' contacted us and are sending a 'drain man' with a CCTV camera sometime after lunch on Tuesday. It was really strange because they rang me just I was emerging from CarPhone Warehouse clutching the above. The helpful young man in the shop has swapped over my SIM card so it probably wasn't quite as miraculous as I thought.

We decided (of course) to visit Nottingham by tram and our first call was for a coffee and toasted tea-cake at Capocci's click here if you are interested and then just round the corner to Cineworld for the film.

To begin with I thought "I'm not going to like this" but I realised it was 'the characters' I didn't like and the film steadily developed and at the end we both thought it was one of the best films we have seen recently. Keira Knightley and James McAvoy were both excellent and will no doubt win loads of awards. Even our friend J at Mansfield, a very proper lady of our sort of age, said to Y on the 'phone "Isn't he handsome?" But for me the different actresses playing Briony at her different ages, stole the show. Culminating with Vanessa Redgrave as the aged Briony. What can I say? She is still a brilliant actress and a quirk of the lip or a partly raised eyebrow can speak volumes.

Just enough time for a visit to our Market Square for the twice monthly Farmers' Market where we bought some good-looking sausages and (for me) a small black-pudding. And to eat while we were waiting for the tram, a delicious beef-burger. A piece in today's Telegraph claims that hyphenated words are a thing of the past, and that should have been beef burger. They blame e-mails and text messages but I think it is more that people simply don't know what should be hyphenated and what not. Come to think of it - I'm never sure myself ! But I sense that 'pot belly' and 'potbelly' and 'pot-belly' carry subtly different shades of meaning.

Quote for the day - this appeals :-

"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married"

H. L. Mencken

.....A fairly early night I think. Perhaps a little read, some radio etc....... Sleep tight everybody......

No comments: