Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Sea Bass Story

As we are in the middle of a D.H. Lawrence Festival, the readership are probably entitled to some coverage, even though as previously noted, Eastwood itself seems totally cold to the event. They are mostly Danielle Steele and Westerns people. No criticism intended.

The picture is of Durban House which is now a DHL centre and Restaurant. Originally it was the Coal Board Offices from where Lawrence, as a boy, used to collect his father's pay. It has always seemed to me to be a particulary fine building. Standing derelict for many years it is to someone's credit that it has finally been restored. As you look at the picture, the area to the left of the building, looks up towards Brinsley and Felley Priory.

This Sea Bass is for David, Helen and Sky and Brooke who visited me this afternoon, after a trip to Ikea. It was lovely to see them.

When they were on holiday, I think I mentioned that while David rang me on his mobile, Helen and the girls were further along the quayside 'crabbing'. They caught some little crabs and then Helen felt this almighty pull on the line and found that she had caught a big, and I mean big, Sea Bass. Someone who was around said it would be worth £25. It was too big to go in the net and torn between cooking it for their evening meal and throwing it back, she thoughtfully decided on the latter. She said that there were loads of kids about, watching, and she didn't want to kill it in front of them. Afterwards a chap came up and said she had reached the right decision because he had four children with him and they wouldn't have liked to see her kill it.

I have had a busy day. Tram, Blood Test, Karen, David and Helen, photographs etc., etc., and I have had intermittent pains. They go away if I lie down and I am beginning to suspect that they are muscular in origin rather than some kidney problem. My theory is that if it was kidneys, it wouldn't go away when I lie down. Flat on my back works; side doesn't.

Lovely email from Madeline and she has sent me a great photograph of her grandchildren. And said all the right things about my WU spat. Bungus has sent me some super 'sky shots' so you will soon be treated to some Boughton sky, instead of Brinsley sky.

Byeeee................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the picture of the children. I wonder if the subject of your WU spat ever reads this blog? He might realise that both of our 'signatures' refer to him! How exciting for Helen to have caught the huge bass. I'm glad that it went back into the sea though.
Madeline.