Friday, August 04, 2006

First Blog since coming Home

I have decided not to go into my hospitalisation in any detail. Suffice it to say that I had a kidney infection. Extremely painful and I felt so awful I thought I was done-for, and the hospital was pretty awful.

Nothing ever got done on time; if at all. And I had to be 'very cross' in order to get my Warfarin for instance, without which I would surely have had a stroke. My card "was in Pharmacy" and showing them my tablet list didn't work.

The windows in my ward were frosted, so I couldn't see out. I found a window in a day-room at the end of the corridor, on the second day, and took this photograph through it. Even though it was very wet and windy, I thought the new buildings looked impressive. Perhaps our architectural correspondent would be kind enough to comment on them.

Having said all that, family and friends were marvellous re visiting, ferrying things, and me around and Y, as always, was a 'tower of strength'. And Tracy too, who had conveniently arranged to be on holiday - because of Debra's visit - but I benefitted too. Ray and Bob between them dealt with emails and PMs etc., and I even had goodwill messages and card from Mansfield National Trust - they are such nice people. Debra visited twice, and John came promptly. Steven and David, of course, are on holiday and I would have been horrified if they had dropped everything to come up. I had messages, and flowers etc.

At each bed there was a Screen with internet, email, TV and Radio system, called Patientline which one bought credit-cards for. It was fairly user-friendly and when I felt well enough to tackle it I emailed people whose addies I could remember. (Sorry Madeline, but I think Ray PM'd you, and I think Jill is on her Baltic Cruise) It was only possible to use my old Yahoo address because the system didn't like Gmail at all. The keyboard was only as big as the back of the telephone and one needed a third thumb to hold it, depress the shift key and press a letter, all at the same time.

It was a great relief to get home and although I still feel rough, and am sick if I eat anything much, I am getting better. To play Pollyanna's Glad Game - I can report that I have lost almost a stone in weight. I couldn't recommend it as a strategy though..............

No comments: