Friday, August 18, 2006

Just a normal Friday - Thank God !

The rosebuds of a few days ago are now fully developed cabbages albeit a cream and pink variety. But they looked so lovely after the storm , with their raindrops, I decided to share them.

Not much to report bloodwise. The coagulant clinic rang this morning to say that my level is now 2.60, which is within its target range, but I have to have another blood-test on Monday. They really are careful over it, for which I am very grateful. But I guess I can now resume my more-or-less normal life-style. Even so, I shall avoid opening corned-beef tins for a while ! I read that casualty departments identify the activity as a substantial cause of accidental cuts. Bungus points out though that, if I find the craving irresistable, there is a plentiful supply loose at deli-counters etc.

The final accolade for the Chef's Candle versus the Kippers. Not a sniff in the kitchen this morning. Jill wanted further particulars so I emailed her direct, together with the original Blog picture. We now feel so blasé about it Y decided on griddled Tuna steaks for lunch. They were delicious, tender and moist. If one gets the griddle just right, it is an excellent cooking method.

It is a Y day today, in the kitchen - and I am having quiche and salad for my tea. "Yum. Yum pig's bum" as 5yr olds love you to say. It is pretty daring isn't it? By the way, a tip I read in a Computer Magazine - to put an acute accent over a letter (as per é for instance), all you need to do is depress Alt Gr while you type the letter. The button is usually towards the bottom of the keyboard, on the right. The old method of bringing up a symbol chart on screen was such a faff I never used to do it.

That's it I think. An early Blog ....................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful roses......Are they the ones my Dad used to have, Peace?

You might like to look at a blog http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitting/. The reason I commend this to you is the photography - the colours and the clarity are just tremendous. Jane does do knitting and quilts, also cooking/decorating/gardening, she is obsessed with tulips and in the spring has the most marvellous photos of all the different varieties. Of course today's entry is not so good - but scroll down to the fruit and veg.......

Anonymous said...

Well, it's nice to see you on the road to recovery! I missed your blog and lovely pictures when you were ill. If you want more info on the Alt Gr key, have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_Gr
In your August 11 blog, you said I could probably get away with a smoky bonfire here in rural Wales. Maybe, but our neighbours might not like it! We live in a hamlet of 12 houses and we're at the end of it, so we try to have bonfires when the wind's in the right direction to blow the smoke away from all the houses.
It's not always idyllic living in the country. There are ordinary rats and tree rats (aka grey squirrels). We think my husband shot a rat, but they're so fast, we weren't sure, so we've put out poison to get them! We caught a grey squirrel in the rat trap, so we drowned it. They're horrible little animals, they strip the bark off trees, steal birds' eggs and eat baby birds starting at the feet first. They also carry squirrel pox which doesn't seem to harm them, but has been instrumental in decimating our native red squirrel population, who don't have such objectionable habits. There are a few red squirrels in our county, but I don't know where they are. I was taught to shoot years ago by an ex-army man, so I got our air pistol, shot a squirrel in the head and it died. I'm quite a good shot! We haven't seen any squirrels since I did that thank goodness. Before anyone gets all dewy-eyed about 'cute little furry squirrels', just remember that they're just rats with fluffy tails! The drowned one's tail wasn't very fluffy.
Madeline. (aka squirrel-killer)

Anonymous said...

I saw two Red Squirrels last year on Brownsea Island, in Poole Harbour......