Thursday, August 17, 2006

Apfel Fest - Storm

I have had considerable problems reaching this stage, and was unable to get into my Blog. Why do computers tell you lies? The NTL trouble-shooting programme insisted that a Macafee Firewall was blocking access (I haven't got a Macafee Firewall !) Anyway, not to bore you with the details I am finally back.

The first picture is 'the storm'. It isn't usually possible, on anything short of a Hasselblad, to capture raindrops coming down but, if you look closely enough, you can see them. It was some storm - it lasted about 40 minutes and in that time we had a full inch of rain. I was able to measure it in one of the empty gravel trays on the level wall.

Picture 2 is a yesterday's Apfel Fest for birds. We had 4 Golden Delicious which had gone 'woolly' and I just opened them up abit and threw them on the lawn. Well - young starlings, blackbirds and even the young sparrows braved it. It took them about 2 hours to polish them off and by this morning even the skins had gone. I shudder to think where. The birds aren't very clear but I hope you can sense the 'activity'.

General news now. In the end we had Martin from the local TV/Radio/Electrical Goods shop come to sort out the Video Recorder and we were very glad we did. Not only did he fix it double quick but he also discovered that NTL had fitted a double output box, so we can watch one thing and record another. The NTL engineer had specifically told us that we wouldn't be able to do that.

Jill, our Baltic Correspondent, has returned and has promised some pictures. As you will see in her 'comment' she has uploaded them to her PC but the little 'tinkers' are now hiding. Jill sent her sympathy for my ailments and, we must remember, she isn't too well herself. Anyway - thanks for the continued 'comments' Jill. I think it livens up the Blog to hear other voices.

The Chef's Candle passed the ultimate test this evening. We had grilled kippers - and not a sniff !! I have blown it out now, because the kitchen was so clear, but it will be interesting in the morning to see if there is any trace.

That's it. I'm going to 'publish' while I seem to be problem free ................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More information on this Chef's Candle please, we are great fans of grilled kippers, but we can smell them for days afterwards......