Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hospital Again - INR Blood Level Sky High

I'd just finished preparing this picture for my Blog on Tuesday when the phone rang. Around 5pm. It was the Blood Clinic to tell me that the INR level from my morning's blood-test was sky-high at 10.60. The approved level is around 3. And I was to go immediately to the Emergency Short Stay Unit at the City Hospital where I would be admitted while they tried to get it down with Vitamin K5. Don't ask, because I don't know! Anyway all those things took place and I was kept in overnight. But it was much nicer than Hervey 2. Loads of staff, things happened when they said they would, and by this morning the level was down to 7.4 which meant I could come home but must have it tested again tomorrow morning. They advised that I keep off the roads and get someone else to use meat-cleavers and things, because if I started bleeding I would only stop when I ran dry.

The evening was OK because I bought a £3.50 Patientline ticket for 24hrs TV and use of the internet and email (which I am getting steadily more adept with). The problems are basically, tiny keyboard, big fingers and a very slow cursor. I knew I wouldn't sleep and for several hours during the dead of the night, I watched programmes on French Cuisine on BBC2, interspersed with News 24. I avoided the internet at 4p per minute !

It is nice to be home but we are really sorry we had to miss the National Trust trip. Poor Y. It isn't a lot of fun being Mrs. Radiogandy at the moment. She is stoical and I don't know what I would do without her. She thinks of so many little things and almost makes being ill bearable. She is dog-tired though.


And don't worry that I am going to start political arguments on this station, but sometimes Matt in the Daily Telegraph does manage to illuminate current events with a rapier-like pen. It amazes me that he does it day after day, and week after week. He is the son of Oliver Pritchett the Telegraph journalist who also has a lovely sense of humour. And it isn't that Matt has a stock of already prepared cartoons from which he can draw. Because he is always up-to-date on today's news. I think I'm going to stop there.

Enough for my first day back..............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Baltic correspondent has returned! Have down-loaded photos into computer, when I can find them (the little tinkers are hiding somewhere - I really must get to grips with this photo thing)I will see if any are up to your own high standards....

So sorry about the medical problems - hope all goes well over the next few days and you don't have to go in again.

I LOVE Matt in the D.Telegraph too, he really hits the nail on the head.