Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Drizzly Day but Warm

After dropping Y at the tram (I resisted the tempation of another 'tram shot') and driving past Moorgreen Reservoir, the sky looked interesting. Overcast and gloomy, but skies never bore me. So here it is. And the day turned out just as you would expect - drizzly! I can give you details today (Google P is back) 20C, 17km/hour wind, 77% humidity.

I messed about with pictures for an hour and had my pain return so I was desperate to lie down but couldn't because the NTL engineer was due to come and fix the duff telephone; which hasn't worked properly since we changed over. But Y hurried back on the bus, bless her, so I got my lie-down and aided by Dihydrocodeine I soon felt better. Y had bought some nice clothes (a jacket and some tops from M&S) not something she does very often, and has decided that life isn't so bad and we might as well make the most of it! I agree wholeheartedly. The NTL man arrived around 3.30pm and discovered that we had a done-for socket which would cost £25 to replace. However, the main socket on the opposite wall of the same room works perfectly, so we have moved the phone. Much cheaper and we have already decided it looks better anyway. Polyanna's Glad Game again !

The programme by Griff Rhys Jones about Betjeman which we had recorded, was delightful and reminded me how much pleasure his poetry has brought me over the years. OK, I went through a phase of deriding it because it rhymes and scans but it certainly appeals now. Maybe an age thing? Joanna Lumley read some brilliant examples. She has got such a lot about her, that girl. Betjeman's love of architecture, churches, and hymn tunes, chimes with me even though I am not religious. They are so English, which some people seem to feel is something to be ashamed about these days.

This picture is one of Bob's Pink Japenese Anenomes (If I read his email correctly). The centre and foliage are typical JA but so many petals ! It is a super plant and I love the photograph. It's got such a Van Gogh feel to it. Bob says the pink varieties are not as invasive as the whites, but even so they are never a problem to tidy up and they don't have the Evening Primroses habit of walking around one's garden.

Lovely note to end with. When Y spoke to Debra, Elli wanted to speak and she said "I love you Grandma - and I love Grandad Graham" A 4yr old diplomat and creep ! Not serious about the last bit. But she would melt the hardest of hearts.

That's it, I think..................

No comments: