Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Another beautiful day - family meet at Swanage

This lovely 'mackerel sky' was a couple of mornings ago. To be exact it was 06.47am on the 29th July, or so my EXIF data tells me. The amount of available info. can be daunting. Apparently cameras are in the offing which are fitted with the equivalent of SatNav to record precisely where the photograph was taken.

EXIF data is not a Nikon only miracle. Bungus sent me earlier today a photo of teasels which, apparently, were taken at 19.14 on 31st July. I can only assume that the clock in his camera is not set correctly. Not to worry.

We started the day with my blood-test and, as they haven't yet rung me from the clinic, I can assume I'm not hospital bound. The we went to Staples for some bits for our new office. Such helpful staff and a super store; wide aisles and so well stocked. All we needed were some stacking filing trays etc., the days of red wire baskets seem long gone. And when we reached the checkout a charming young lady asked sweetly "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" Obviously a stock (ha ha!) question but how nice.

Then to Sainsburys for minor reprovisioning. And yet again we both felt that it just has the edge on Morrisons. We shan't forsake our lovely Lidl though.

The butterfly looks suspiciously like some sort of fritillary but I'm sort of hoping that either Bungus or Jill is a lepidopterist as well as ornitholigist. I seem to remember that both have helped previously.

My shirt is almost winter weight and I'm too hot. Bt the forecast didn't say it was going to reach 72F and it was a cold morning. Certainly no intention of changing it now because next step is parjies.

Great thing happened this morning. Which Hannah rang on her mum's mobile specially to tell us. Steve and family are holidaying with friends in Swanage and David and family likewise in Weymouth. And they all met, by chance, on the beach at Swanage. Obviously they were clustered round the mobile because we heard David say "When we spotted them on the beach we tried to leg it, but they'd seen us" and we could hear Steve chortling in the background. I bet they had a great time and the kids would love playing in the sand together although perhaps at 10 there are things Hannah would rather be doing. I hope they took lots of pictures which we can see in due course.

Going WoWing with my photographers is not possible tomorrow because we have an appointment with the accountant and thereafter we are taking Joan out to lunch. She has returned from Southampton but still sounds so croaky and chesty and has been to the Doctor. She has never recovered from her 'flu jab. We also need to check out Wilco for a simple table to stand the printer on and, of course, I must raid the charity shops.

And today there's a quote in my Quotations Page which is quite good:-

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis".

Margaret Bonnano
She doesn't seem to merit a Wikipedia page, but google tells me she was a Star Trek writer.

Nice coffee now, and a Jaffa cake rather than the donut shown. Then my usual routine. Hope everybody sleeps well and I'll catch you tomorrow.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my powers of leaping forward in time have been commented on before. It is a mysterious power which only goes with the IQ of a genius!
But how do you know when my photos were taken? I certainly don’t, although I did think I had set the clock right. Unfortunately I have mislaid my difficult-to-obtain manual yet again (I only lose it when I want it) so was unable to sort out the difference between the 4 sorts of flash that are available or to discover why, when I use macro, it is sometimes the things 2” away that are in focus and next time things 20’0” away.
Choice can be a terrible thing; the 54 different cans of peas and 30 sorts of tuna on supermarket shelves, for instance.

Staples' "Did you find everything you were looking for today?" sounds a bit too American for my taste but if she managed to say it as though she meant it, then bearable.
Cynical? Moi?

Butterflies with serrated wings SOUND as thought they should be called fritillaries – but that is very misleading.
You have once again forgotten to ask it to hold a 50p piece in its teeth but I am pretty sure it is a ‘Comma’ which has made its way north (Global Warming?). They like hop growing areas which north Notts once was (The Hop Pole Hotel at Ollerton).

I am not surprised you have felt overheated; a tee shirt was enough for me until late afternoon. I opted to follow the Marilyn Monroe dress code and wear just Chanel No 5 in bed.

I have heard of folk reacting badly to flu jabs which is why I always decline it; that and the fact that to date I have never had flu.
I shall try and remember “I’ve never had flu” in case it becomes appropriate as a last gasp utterance.

The doughnut picture (I am not a fan of the American spelling) calls to mind a diet. Not the chip cob diet. ????

Anonymous said...

I'm only OK on butterflies with open wings - please get them to open their wings next time.....

I always do have flu jabs, and have never had flu either...

Talking of which, just for the record I had a minor op on my arm last friday to decompress a crushed nerve (no, I have no idea how it got like that) and Sir re-routed one nerve and 'tweaked' - his technical expression - the others: says it may take 3 months to settle down. The op. was just below my elbow on the outside of my arm, though all the trouble is in my hand. The shooting pains that woke me at night have gone, thankfully, and out of the three affected fingers one has gone back to normal but two are still pins and needles constantly and sort of numb. I was bandaged from above elbow to fingers, well-padded, only managed to type by hoiking the bandage back (yet another technical expression) - I was told to keep fingers moving. Back to hosp. on Friday, hopefully less bandaging. And fingers crossed (on the other hand) tat eventually all will be well.

apply stormdry said...

How sweet!! I really liked the post and the description you have given. I must say you are very lcuky to have such sweet family