Friday, July 06, 2007

Less Rain - windy - 63C - Fine at Wimbledon

The 'pork-hock' turned out, after pressing. It is dome shaped but I'm not sure if that is apparent from the picture.

Had a couple of slices for brekkie and very nice it was too. If anyone wants to try here are some tips:-

1. Place hock in saucepan and cover in water with some onion, herbs (thyme. coriander, rosemary go well - but follow Delia and use whatever you've got, dried will be fine).

2. Bring to boil then simmer for ages till the meat comes away from the bone easily.

3. Leave it in the saucepan till cool enough to handle, then take the meat from the bone and discard all traces of fat and sinew.

4. Put meat in a domed dish/pyrex/basin etc., again use whatever youve got that seems right for the amount of meat. There needs to be around an inch at the top before you get to the rim.

5. Place something on top of meat that is small enough to be pressed down. Stand something weighty on top of this. I use a kitchen crock full of knives, sharpening steel etc., Give it a preliminary press down - this will press out enough liquid to form a glaze (see picture). Leave it for hours. Mine was overnight.

6. Turn out of the dish. They always seem to come cleanly away from the base and sides.

7. Slice thinly and tuck in.

When TJ came on Sunday she brought flowers and they have lasted well. They are in a vase on the blanket chest and this flower looked lovely as a shaft of early sun came through a gap in the curtains to illuminate it.

Apart from nipping out for essentials we have had a quiet day. We went to Aldi for the sole purpose of buying cling-film because I like their's best.

Other than that we have had a Rest Day. We picked 2 dishes of raspberries _ I was expecting more, but the blackbirds................

Y has been wrapped up in the Tennis. She watched an excellent match where they had been on court a total of five hours. Her chap, a Serbian, won in the end, but she also liked his opponent who was a good sport. She is now watching the women. I can't remember the names.

We have a house-viewer at 11am tomorrow. You never know I suppose. But in the East Midlands the market seems completely dormant with loads of For Sale boards all over the place.

Nice coffee, browse a few forums, catch up on news. Maybe even a half hour with Stumbleupon.........Life is good !!...... (if I didn't have neck-ache, back/leg ache, elbow ache.......................) Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised at the vivid colour of the pork hock – but I suppose I shouldn’t be!
My mother occasionally made brawn to my paternal grandmother’s recipe, using a pig’s head and a rabbit.
Oddly, I liked it (I say oddly because I cannot stand savoury jelly now – I always remove it from pork pie). I think she used to press it in a bowl but at some stage she acquired a genuine meat press that I do not recall her ever using but which I have inherited (photos to follow).
On the only occasion I used it - for a spiced beef recipe from Delia’s Christmas Collection – I over-tightened the screw and it was compressed so much that it could not be carved, never mind eaten. I suppose it would have done well as a sort of communal jerky or biltong for an Antarctic crossing or a safari.

The flower looks very pretty.

When Sandra goes up to feed the chickens in the morning she picks any ripe raspberries and has them on her porridge (made with oat milk). We used to net at one time but have found that the birds have their fill and still leave us plenty to eat and freeze.

I saw just the last few games of that Wimbledon match which Yvonne so enjoyed.
I am not particularly a fan of the game but it was enthralling classic tennis reminiscent of Borg and Connors and McEnroe and Nastase and Gerulaitis. I was sorry I had not seen it all.

I don’t wish to dampen any remaining enthusiasm but the latest Bank Rate rise won’t exactly encourage house sales, will it?
Good luck; fingers crossed.
ي