Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pleasant day - Exhibition up - Computer slow

Picture 1 is of the sort of formal municipal 'bedding' which I now really dislike. In the 50s and 60s the traditional 'white alyssum, red salvias and blue lobelia type of thing' seemed so cool but nowadays they are way over the cringe mark on my 'bedding' appreciation scale.

This summer I have seen several beautiful 'wild-flower' beds, particularly at Burghley House and there is so much to recommend them. A bit is done for conservation, their carbon-footprint must be minuscule, maintenance is minimal 'cos if a weed grows it looks as if you've done it on purpose. And lets face it, formal beds simply look passé. In my humble opinion.

First job this morning was helping to mount our EPS Exhibition in Kimberley Library. Reg had e-mailed people because he feared he would be short on helpers but, loyally, lots of folks turned up. I won't mention them all by name because I might miss somebody which would be rude. I was allowed to revert to my favourite task of 'drawing pin carrier' but 70 photographs were put up , all different from the previous exhibition, and they looked great and reflected great credit on the Club. A super balance of punchy colour, black & white, subtle/strident and all gradations inbetween. Mike took on the role of 'left-hand up a bit' man, Tim did the mountaineering and everybody chipped in their best efforts. It was a pleasure to go.

My efforts to capture a bee whilst airborne failed and I'm using this because at least it is 'sharp' enough to stand a quite dramatic enlargement and crop.

I got lots of frames of bees actually flying but not one of them was sharp. I've tried very fast shutter speeds obviously and also the Nikon's 'sports' programme hoping that, when I've focused on the bee and it subsequently moves the camera's focus point will follow the bee and keep it sharp. At least that's what it says it should do in the Manual. I think I need to consult Reg, Mike, Jason and other experts.

Try, try and try again.........! .If I eventually succeed you will definitely see the results.

I settled down this afternoon to read the current WebUser magazine and discovered they had used a forum piece of mine about Wi-Fi and routers and the like. It is still a satisfaction to see one's advice in hard copy.

Whilst looking out at the western sky last night from around 11.30pm to 12.30am I saw some weird lights. They resembled search-light circles of light and they travelled very fast from left to right and then immediately back again. Then a few seconds later there would be another lot. Not points of light and not very bright but bright enough to be clearly distinguishable. There was nowhere near enough light for photography. Last time I saw an unusual shape in the sky Madeline identified it as 'cloud luminosity' but that was stationary while these moved. If Madeline reads this and can help, it would be much appreciated! And, importantly, did anyone else see them or has seen similar in the past? I googled without avail.

Quotes for the day, which, if I've used before I apologise :-


"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter"



"I love those who yearn for the impossible"


Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We've got Bettany Hughes to look forward to at 8pm. Last week the TV critic thought it 'dull' but he probably isn't such a sucker for a 'lecture plus pictures' as we are. Off to TJ's for lunch tomorrow and must remember to call at Wilko en route.

Closing down now. Sleep tight everybody. Catch you tomorrow.

No comments: