Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sun at last - almost songworthy - 68C

In ArtDaily there's details of the " Velazquez at the National Gallery" exhibition but the presenter only flits past the head & shoulders version of Pope Innocent X rather than this full one, which they also have. Perhaps it's out on loan somewhere.

When I first saw the picture many years ago I thought it was the most powerful portrait I'd ever seen. And I still rate it so. You stand in front of it and the man shines through. Not a chap to be trifled with ! I used to know all about the important folded document in his left hand. But I've forgotten.

I think Francis Bacon was similarly affected by the portrait because he used it as the basis for his famous painting of 1953.

Both paintings, and I count myself lucky to have seen both, have a mesmerizing effect and I could stand, or perhaps better nowadays, sit in front of either for an hour.

The Velasquez exhibition is important for art-lovers and to have access to the Rokeby Venus, all those Bodega paintings AND Pope Innocent X............. well , words fail me.

I accept Bungus's complaint about the over-vivid Pork Hock. So this morning, before breakfast, I took a 'without flash' version which I hope he will be able to inspect without recourse to his shades.

I e-mailed Ray this morning (S.Yorkshire) to check if he was still not flooded because it is a fortnight since we exchanged letters and there has been a lot more rain since then. He reported 'dry feet' but he's not very well and was returning to bed for the day. Best place to be. I'm a great believer in the benefits of bed-rest for many ills.

The current advice for back-sufferers is that one shouldn't go to bed. I suspect that the advice is written by someone who has never had a really bad back, because during a severe attack one can't stand up for more than a few seconds, and sitting in a chair has the attendant problem of getting out of it again.

Matt, in his cruel but penetrating manner, manages to make an uncomfortable point in the morning's Telegraph.

We've always so completely trusted the medical profession. We literally "put our lives in their hands". Actually, I'm pretty sure that we still can, but political correctness probably prevents any meaningful weeding out of potential 'bad eggs'. Y read in her paper that it had proved not possible to discipline a police-officer who had posted advice on an extremist internet site because to do so would be an infringement of his human rights !

There will be a backlash I fear. And not before time !

Our main Sunday meal will be a little different. I'm going to do a crispy-beef stir fry. Unfortunately this morning we couldn't find Pak Choy but I shall busk it. We are still enjoying the summer soft-fruit and have really adopted Greek Yoghurt as an alternative to either cream of custard. The sharp tang of it appeals. Isn't it strange that sour cream is fine but sour milk is disgusting? A Rest Day, papers, catch up on reading is planned and for Y of course the Tennis. Her Serbian chap is out, due to injury. but the programme looks interesting. And I've got loads of messing about to do.

Just the one quote:-

"The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he really is very good, in spite of all the people who say he is very good"

All the orange words towards the top are live links. So if you are interested in any just left-click them. Also a reminder that the pictures are clickable, if you want to see one screen size.

Off for my tea now. Sleep tight when you finally get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the pope isn't simply looking peed off because has just received his gas bill, then?

It looks a substantial slab of meat. From just one pork hock?

I think Sandra’s view is that there is no good advice about a bad back. You might as well just do whatever gives the most relief at any given time.

I’m not quite sure what you mean about weeding out bad eggs (sounds a bit of amixed metaphor anyway!).
The security people were on to the latest terror gang pretty sharply (before they had managed to do any real damage to anyone but themselves) and nobody did much to stop Harold Shipman (although I have always thought I would rather have him murder me than some mad axeman).
And what will the backlash be against? Political correctness gone mad? Draconian laws which victimise a substantial and, up to now, law abiding minority (inc Charles Kennedy, more power to his arm)? Or political refugees and honest immigrants?

Sour milk makes excellent cream cheese, esp in Colwick, for which I do not care.

Shakespeare was a very good playwright but he used too many clichés for my liking.
ي