Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Nat Trust - Riddlesden - Worth Railway

Just a speedy 'blog' because we have had a busy day and I'm tired. Y managed to contact Steven and he was on his way home and se contacted him later when he ad arrived. He sounds fine.

The coach left promptly at 9am and there were lots of winding steep and narrow roads en route to the Worth Valley Railway. The Railway was of course, home to The Railway Children and who can forget them ? The coach delivered us to Oxenhope Station where we boarded for Keighley. As you can see from Picture 1 we were travelling light, and the journey was delightful. I could see Jenny Agutter and co. and Mr Perks in my minds eye.

Although Jean had organised the overall trip Joan S. was responsible for the 'railway bit' and what a brilliant idea it was. Even if we hadn't gone on to Riddlesdon Hall, that alone was worth the journey.

Gordon and I had chance briefly to discuss the concept of a 'team blog' for the Mansfield Centre and later we discussed it with Peter. There is much to consider......

East Riddlesdon Hall (see yesterday for link) was such a peaceful place. Its history goes back 400 years and there were some fascinating artifacts. A fireplace with an inscription on the lintel above was so easy to read " 1649. THEY MAIDS OF COHIN = INTA " but difficult to make sense of. The National Trust steward was less than authoritative on the matter.

I've got loads of pictures and when I've sorted them I will provide a 'link' to an album for everyone to enjoy. The 'light' was not good so all are 'record shots' without pretentions. I caught some good radio ! A programme about Joan of Arc on the way up, and Adam Smith on the way down. We enjoyed everyone's company, as always.

Thanks Bungus for identifying yesterday's spelling mistakes and I've got KEIGHLEY correct this evening and I haven't used a redudant 's' in acerbic.

I will not in future mention anyone being 'under the weather' . I just like everyone to be 'hale and hearty' All the time . Y is of the same opinion as Sandra. Gritted teeth, don't go on about it, and so on.......

A normal Thursday tomorrow. Y grannying at Burton Joyce and I've offered to collect her around 4.30pm and I can see Steven for myself, and also of course Hannah, Miles and Millicent. My day will be spent messing-about with pictures, getting up-to-date with my forums and reading.......... Roy just e-mailed me that they are meeting in The Foresters around 9pm but that is my time for coming home, not going out. How boring I am becoming !

We've finished the crossword, so coffee, magazine, Oneword radio and kip...... Sleep tight everybody.

No comments: