Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Blood Test - Ikea - Flatpack assembly

Mini photo, mini blog.

The photo is filched off e-bay and I could only find a picture of the tin and none of the actual sweets. It seems that Bungus is right and they were 'medicinal' even though not on prescription. I'm not sure about Madeline's 'negroids' because I thought that was descriptive of a racial characteristic. And 'Melloids' is also a little confusing. Tomorrow I will research - I could 'waste time' for England let alone the County.

The reason for brevity is that, after my blood test, we went to Ikea and bought the awaited computer-desk. Another flatpack and after lunch I couldn't resist just unpacking it. Four hours later it was up and sturdy and good-looking! But I was a comparitive wreck albeit with a smug grin of satisfaction. A picture will surely follow !

I can't accept that vegemite is an inferior version of marmite. Try that comment out on an Australian and tell me the response. The flavours are completely different and I prefer 'vegemite'. But it takes all sorts etc......

Just about to close down and a lovely newsy e-mail arrived from Jill who has returned from her New Forest sojourn. I think I will read it fully at leisure tomorrow..... But nice to have you back Jill.

Must do a quote today. What about this ?

"Truth is beautiful, without a doubt. But so are lies." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tomorrow morning Y is having her eyes tested at Spec Savers and in the afternoon 2pm-4pm I am security-sitting our Exhibition in the Council Offices. I shall take my laptop and catch up on lots.

Sleep tight - catch you tomorrow etc. etc..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the photo but Iron Jelloids could never be described as sweets. They were a ‘tonic’ for anaemia, I believe; black, shiny, about ½” long and shaped like a thin sugared almond.
I am sure about Melloids, which were made by extruding a 1/10” string of licorice and cutting it first one way then the other at 1/10” intervals to leave it with sharp corners when it hardened (dimensions are in the mind’s eye and therefore approximate).
Your research is NOT a waste of time. It is vital to sort these things out for the sake of posterity and the educational benefit of the younger generations.

Are we to expect a picture of the computer desk or the satisfied grin?

It is quite unfair to say that the flavours are different.
I tried Vegemite once and, compared with Marmite, it has NO flavour. It is an antipodean myth that you have been suckered into believing. The first homesick ‘settlers’ tried to make Marmite and failed miserably. And they’ve been miserable and cantankerous ever since.
Great blokes though; and sheilas.
Beyond that I have nothing to say.

Like the quote. And that’s the truth.

Hope Y’s eye test is much like mine (ie, no change)

Yesterday Ralph supplemented his normal diet with 2 sausages (legit), a dead shrew (opportunistic) and half a bar of plain chocolate which I had left on the coffee table (theft). He is a little rascal!

Anonymous said...

I have just googled 'Melloids'.

A News Release of 24 Oct 1996 tells me that they have been discontinued.
But Vocalzones (by Boots), originally formulated in 1913 for Enrico Caruso, are suggested as a substitute.
Apparently Tom Jones and Jarvis Cocker use them, as well as American gospel choirs.

Anonymous said...

PS

from WW2 - Peoples War

"We didn't have the any sweets or icecreams at all during the war. I can remember buying Melloids from Boots which were little globules of liquorish and also some others called IMPs. Another sweet substitute was a cough lozenge with a liquorish base. I can't remember what it was called but these are still made and are something like Fishermen's friends."

'Imps' are the other ones that I remember but from the 1970s.

Unknown said...

Apologies for my spelling mistake yesterday, but what I was thinking of was "Nigroids". As I'm going back to the 1940s/50s, I hope I can be forgiven! The following entry in Wikipedia describes them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigroids
and this eBay entry shows what the tin looked like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGROIDS-THROAT-MINT-TIN-BOX-ENGLAND-OLD_W0QQitemZ220130761672QQcmdZViewItem
Obviously, as children, we had no idea of the potential beneficial properties of Nigroids, we just liked them!