Sunday, July 15, 2007

New DAB Radio - Promising House people - Weather bad


After last night's red sunset I firmly expected a better day. But it wasn't. To use Ray's expression it has 'hissed down' most of the day. Not to worry I made the best of it and ventured out as far as Mansfield and bought a new DAB radio. My old Tevion, acquired in the early days from Aldi has become too irritating to live with. It wouldn't receive OneWord anymore, the sound kept vanishing altogether and for the last few nights I have kept my laptop on all night for the benefit of digital radio stations. Not the best solution because changing station involved surfacing sufficiently to do it rather than reaching out a lazy finger and prodding.

This Logic set works extremely well, excellent signal on all my favourites and it was reasonably straightforward to set up.

I bought it from Curry's rather than off the net because I wanted to see it and check a few things out before finally deciding. Like the controls being on the front rather than on top, and therefore 'proddable' from a prone position. I shall take the old one over to Long Eaton; it might work better there. Or we might discover that Sky can fix digital radios as well as make excellent videos.

Hannah is 10 today and I tried to judge the time to ring her when she would have finished opening her presents. I rang just after 9.30am, and she still had three to go, so I wished her 'happy birthday' and let her get back to it.

The house re-viewers duly came and were here ages. They said all the right things and when the ladies went to the car the Mr hung back with a view to haggling. I said he should look at the other properties on his list and then make me an offer, which we would consider when my wife is back from London , but that we couldn't drop the price very much because of the sort of place we want to buy. Seemed promising though ! But still not getting excited.

Tracy rang this morning to see how I was painwise, and how I was coping. We had a smashing chat and I know she worries about me bless her. Of course this morning prior to the viewers I had two rooms to tidy and make presentable. My bedroom, and now my Office. Plus the rest of the house naturally and it looked fine to me. At least our viewers didn't withdraw in horror.

Before leaving the matter of McAfee SiteAdvisor, Bungus dismisses it as something he doesn't need to know about; simplicity being his guideline ! Many of us just consider it simple good housekeeping' to guard our computers against viruses, trojans, adware, spyware and any other malware, which could cause problems. Said problems being costly to fix, or they make us reliant on others to sort out headaches which are essentially of our own making.

Lecture over, honest ! I also love Danny's aphorisms and it is such a shame that we only have Part 3 - it would be great to have Parts 1 and 2. I asked on WUforums about how to rotate an AVIfile for Sky and Ray (who else? bless him) told me the programme to do it in, plus instructions !!

Two quotes today, both have a slight anti-american tinge for which I apologise:-

"Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American newspaper is like trying to play Bach's 'St. Matthew's Passion' on a ukulele."
- Bagdikian's Observation

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."
- Oscar Wilde

My ArtDaily 'newsletter' didn't arrive during the night as it usually does. I traced today's issue via a search, but it isn't as satisfying as having it arrive in my InBox. I've sent them an e-mail query but it's prolly the middle of the night there. I can cope, but without it I shall develop a nervous twitch.

I'm off now to 'de-sort' my bedroom. The tidy, uncluttered look doesn't appeal. I have to have all my essential rubbish easily to hand and now with my new radio...... If I had the money I could easilybecome the Imelda Marcos of the radio world. Buying a new one each week just wouldn't be a problem.

Catch you tomorrow. Sleep tight. Eventually the Sun will shine again, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you right, if you can manage it, to avoid getting excited about the possible house sale but it does sound more promising than previous failures.

You are quite right again!
I think you’ve nailed it. We view some things differently.
I have AVG Free to protect my installation and so far it has worked, so no problem. If it doesn’t I shall ask Dan and if he cannot do anything I shall give up computing. Likewise, if my radio failed I would stop listening until someone gave me another or I happened across one.
It is even possible that I shall stop watching TV when we have to go digital, although I have been given a set-top box that is not yet installed (I shall have to ask the youngest grandchild to see to that).
As my Arab friends would have said, ‘Allah-keefik’
And as a late and highly respected friend of mine once put it when admonished by a college lecturer, “If at first you don’t succeed, give up”.

”I asked on WUforums about how to rotate an AVIfile for Sky and Ray (who else? bless him) told me the programme to do it in, plus instructions !!”
What on earth he is talking about? (but I hope he won’t try to explain).

I like the Bagdikian but find the Wilde a bit tired.

There you go again!
I like the ArtDaily Newsletter very much but, if it didn't appear, that would be it, for me.
I’d soon forget about it. ي

Anonymous said...

ADDENDUM

I suspect I am behaving like a Staffy; ie, not giving up while there is still a crumb to be found (I stopped to photograph a dead shrew this morning but Ralph ate it before the shutter clicked).
Nevertheless:

So, as far as
“Before leaving the matter of McAfee SiteAdvisor, Bungus dismisses it as something he doesn't need to know about; simplicity being his guideline ! Many of us just consider it simple good housekeeping' to guard our computers against viruses, trojans, adware, spyware and any other malware, which could cause problems. Said problems being costly to fix, or they make us reliant on others to sort out headaches which are essentially of our own making.”
goes.
1) I have never known anyone who has had any serious trouble like that...
2) ...Just as, I suspect that people with burglar alarms get burgled at least as often as those without.
3) But I do think smoke alarms are a good idea although I would not install a sprinkler system. I would call the Fire Brigade.
4) My computer is a bit like my car. I find a car useful but I do not want to know how the internal combustion engine works; or the braking system. I just want to put petol in it and drive (occasionally checking the oil and tyre pressures). I have roadside emergency cover which means that I don’t even have to change the wheel in the unlikely event that I have a puncture.
5) In spit eof which I regard most insurance is a waste of money apart from motor, house and (possibly) contents.
6) My son, who works as a trouble shooter in IT Support, built my computer and opined that AVG Free would be quite adequate protection for what I was likely to want to do.
7) “So far, so good” (Steve McQueen, in The Magnificent Seven)