Monday, July 30, 2007

Gardening - Tip - House Viewer - Bees

Picture 1 is sad, a dead rose, but it looked so dramatic I thought it should be recorded for posterity.

I suppose it comes to us all eventually and it had beautiful and useful life brightening up our front door.

It is to be hoped that my heading "Gardening - Tip....." doesn't attract blog searchers needing gardening advice. My meaning was that first we did a little gardening, and then we went to the Council Tip. And talking of blog-searchers I will confine myself to saying that we are all pleased for Jill. I think that should do, without attracting attention, with or without a multi-coloured dreamcoat.

A very nice post from RonJon on WUforums about something I had suggested, and he says he enjoys the blog, and the pictures. I've told him not to be shy about adding a 'comment' a fresh voice amongst the codgers is always welcome.

Earlier this evening we had a very pleasant house-viewer who seemed genuinely interested and had a really careful look round. He wasn't 'phazed' by the size of the garden. But again, best not get too excited eh?

It has been my ambition, with all the gadgetry available in the Nikon, to capture a bee in flight. And Picture 2 is my best effort so far. The creature looks as if he has been launched from Cape Buddleia but at least he is fairly sharp.

The weather has been lovely and July like and it is forecast to continue for a few more days. I think we all deserve it and even while faced with such terrible problems the spirits of the flood-sufferers must lift a little in the sun, with some blue sky. How those officials have the effrontery to accept their massive bonuses under the circumstances is amazing. Does anyone working for the government not get a bonus these days?

Nothing terribly good on my 'quotes pages' today so I raided my trusty old Aphorisms, edited by Auden:-

"When are men most useless would you say?
When they can't command and can't obey"

Goethe

And I love this Slovenian Proverb :-

"Never whisper to the deaf or wink at the blind"

I know I refer to Wikipedia a lot for my references, and I know some people often don't trust it's accuracy. But I love its "written by the people" approach to life, and its range is stupendous. It is constantly subjected to the equivalent of an academic peer review on each and every article. Something erroneous could get through but it would be amended double quick by someone who knows better. More power to Jimbo's elbow I say. And his not-for-profit inauguration of the encyclopedia should rightly be recognised as an enormous contribution to the erudition of humankind.

Yvonne and I have enjoyed doing Nat Trust jobs together in our 'Office' and I must try and think of some venture we could use it for to make money. Or perhaps not.

I'm no where near as tired tonight. I'll go and top up my bird-feeders, read something good, then a little radio, a bit of choccy and then big noo-noos as Debra's call it.

n.b for new blog readers. Click a photo to get an enlargement. And anything in orange writing is a clickable link. bonsoir et bonne nuit !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dead rose technically impressive but looks like something nasty on a stick.
I hope, for the sake of others, that, when it comes to me, I look a bit more attractive for a few days at least.

You are getting biblically confused; it's probably your age (will email). Let’s hope no one else notices.

I think the word you were seeking is ‘fazed’.
Fingers crossed again for house sale.

Good bee in flight.
According to the late Ernest ‘Bunny’ Roberts, he is what is known, technically, in Shirebrook, as a ‘Red Arsty’.

From the local TV news it appears that the poor flooded people of Hull are still being sidelined.

Surely it isn’t just government employees who get huge bonuses. Don’t City institutions and large corporations (inc former nationalised industries) offend even more?
It’s still the same old story; Not ‘a fight for love and glory’ but ‘The rich get richer and the poor get poorer’.
New Labour? We did better under McMillan!
But, as a late friend of mine used to say, “Come the revolution and the streets will be flowing with landlords’ blood”.
Mind you, he meant pub landlords.

I believe Slovenes are particularly renowned for stating the obvious.