Tuesday, July 24, 2007

'Nails' day - Italian lunch - Bromley House

This morning was like being at work, but fun. It is a Karen day so Y and I installed ourselves in the Office and did National Trust jobs. We made good headway and, now I have my printer back, we were able to print copies of things for our 'Outings' Committee.

By the way, Karen says she is mad keen on her computer and hasn't watched the television since February!

Around 11.15am we drove over to Carlton Hill for Y's 'nails service' and true to form it was a crystal clear day complete with blue sky. It has only let us down once. My sortie into the charity shops yielded nothing but we had another lovely lunch in Frantinis. Then we drove down into town to take books back to Bromley House and because I had promised to buy Hannah a little carrying pouch for her digital camera. She said she would prefer a plain black one and I got just the thing from Jessops.

Picture 1 is our Bromley House secret garden from a first floor window and Picture 2 is from the far end of the garden looking back towards the House. After I had finished inside because it was hot, I sat in the garden to wait for Y and it is so hard to believe that one is just a few yards from Market Square.

I know that the Library's exclusivity might offend some, but as I pressed the entrance buzzer, before I could speak, a voice invited me in by name. It really is like having a 'club' in the town-centre and we cherish our membership. Good books too!!

Thank you all for your sympathy for my Tennis Elbow (lateral epicondylitis) but mine is Golfer's Elbow (medial epicondylitis) - different tendon, different yelp spot when pressed. Dr L******** said it was often a result of repetitive strain, or for no reason at all , and when I was struggling up Market Street to Jessops, I realised how much weight I transfer to my left arm, the hand of which grips my stick. Y says I shall have to use my right hand - but, if I did that, I would surely fall over. Thought I would share that with you all.

Bungus and Jill and I have exchanged e-mail views about a certain matter and we all seem to be much of a mind about it. I shall do nothing for several days and see what happens. On a different subject entirely Gordon e-mailed me with a missive from the National Trust about sub-groups. This would be an alternative, I assume, to our setting up of a 'team blog'. Y and I will read it carefully and discuss with Gordon and Peter pretty soon. Tomorrow afternoon we are going as a group to Southwell Minster, and each time one goes something new is learnt. A couple of years ago we had an excellent lecture (with slides of course) from the recently retired Head Verger. We are both looking forward to it. No doubt pictures will be presented for your delectation. Hope it is as nice a day as today.

I certainly didn't intend my response to the floods to be 'glib' because our hearts go out to the poor people who are suffereing. Listening to the radio I had a big lump in my throat when I heard a young family chap trying to keep the children's spirits up by playing a game while they were waiting to be rescued. "See how many different things we can count floating by?". We Brits are pretty indomitable.
Geoffrey Chaucer
Just another of those clichés he was always writing. Like Shakespeare. It must feel seriously good to have such an original mind that people are still quoting you six hundred years later.

It was a joy to learn that Jill had insisted on Dimsie Boy having his own gas mask but such a disappointment to find out that Bungus's 'Raymond' wasn't a real invisible friend at all but had been invented as a purely literary figure. But I never had one in the first place, so who am I etc.....?

We are making our own way to Southwell tomorrow afternoon. Hope everyone sleeps well.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re Jill’s comment.
It must have been awful being an evacuee, esp for an only child or a child separated from siblings. We had one (his name was Raymond by the way, but I had specified one called Bill) from ‘Wervin’’ (I fink it’s a bit neah ‘Sarfend’). I am afraid he was treated rather unsympathetically but they were different and difficult times. His sister was billeted with my best friend a few doors away but eventually someone else took them both in.
I was also lucky that my father was on the cusp of call-up but escaped it.

I am absolutely sure that RadioG did not intend to sound ‘glib’ about the flooding. I am far from certain that it is quite the word I wanted. I think it is just that the recent events have brought nearer home something similar to that which we are accustomed to see happening far away – the tsunami for instance, and hurricanes in the southern states of America.
Off hand, I can only think of Aberfan in the UK that, although more concentrated and very different, has had a remotely similar effect.

Today, for a bit of a change, I went to the Aldi at Shirebrook (Newark, Worksop and Shirebrook are all about 10 miles away).
I really wanted groundnut oil but it doesn’t arrive until Thursday. But I got some tonight from Tesco, over 20p cheaper! Such excitement!

I wonder if, in 2600, anyone will say “The onions were bigger when I planted them than when I harvested them”? 0r “I don’t know what that smell is but, if it turns out to be coming from me, get me to a hospital quick”?

I realise now that I’m an even sadder figure than I thought, not only an only child but with not even a proper imaginary Raymond!

Anonymous said...

G. you forgot my tennis elbow of the foot don't know thw latin for
it Reg