Monday, July 16, 2007

Busy Day - Y back - Exhibition - 70F

I've already mentioned our ancient Clematis that performs its unbridled rampant climbing act each year. So a picture of it strutting its stuff seems appropriate. It climbs all over cotoneaster, roses, conifers, witch-hazel - it doesn't discriminate and is always a mass of flowers, some coming some going and I'm pleased to report that the blue is accurate.

They were shot in RAW in the hope I could preserve the blues. I suspect that JPEG would have washed them out or super-saturated them - one or the other. I know I am not really a RAW fan preferring the ready made 'punch' of a JPEG, but there are exceptions.

This morning I helped mount our EPS Exhibition in the austere surroundings of the Council Offices and it looks good. Our stands are down the centre of the room and the lighting, both natural and artificial, is excellent. Maureen (Reg's wife) has her Art Club (which she tutors) Exhibition round the outer walls but I didn't stay to see their end result. No matter because on Wednesday afternoon I am 'security-sitting' the joint exhibition and shall have a good opportunity to look carefully at all the exhibits. I feel I must point out that I have been promoted from 'drawing-pin carrier' to 'velcro-clip bag man' but I shall try not to let it go to my head.

Picture 2 is another shrub which likes the clay-y soil it lives in. The flower heads are so delicate and although predominantly white have the occasional completely random red 'sports'.

After the exhibition mounting I did some essential shopping before collecting Y from the tram just after 1pm. She is understandably tired because her return rail journey was horrendeous. Her visit was a great success and Ruby's birthday party at the swimming pool was a sensation. As you would expect Elli has no inhibitions about the water at all and just bombs-in from whichever edge she is nearest to. Some of the older children were apprehensive, but not she !

In the afternoon I tried a nap because I didn't have a good night but just the same, I doze off and half an hour later the pain wakes me up. On 23rd I see the Doctor and feel confident that she will give me good advice. The 'no statins' policy certainly hasn't worked - Yet !. For evening meal I cooked a traditional 'fry up' - bacon, sausage, big flat mushroom, rosti, and grilled tomatoes. Plus, of course, a fried free range egg and to welcome her home I did Y the shiniest darkest brown shelled one - she likes them best.

Steven still not very good - but they did say it would be eight weeks. Fortunately, he too has great confidence in his GP and she is keeping a very wary eye on him.

Isn't it awful about the Queen and Annie Leibowitz portrait and the BBC publishing stuff out of sequence to make it seem as if the Queen had a 'hissy fit'. One would think that the person responsible, if an honourable person, would promptly resign. But no chance. I feel that I must reassure my blog readers that events here are published in sequence and no effort, except raiding Matt from time to time, is made to boost circulation. Ha Ha!

Nice interchange on WUforums this morning, about old-fashioned sweets and I was trying to discover the name of those tiny hard three cornered black things. I sussed it in the end - Iron Jelloids. But, in the interim, 'Hello_There' sent me a link to old Test Cards and BBC clocks and other logos. One of the test cards is now my desktop wallpaper. How nostalgic can you get?

It has been warmer and we have seen the sun briefly, but the forecast is not good.

He's just waiting for the weekend perhaps. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How strange that you all seem to have women doctors.
At our surgery even the female patients have difficulty getting an appointment with the only (part time) GP of their own gender.
I don’t want to be alarmist, and I may have it all wrong, but with your delicate blood balance I would have thought the statins must play a rather critical role?

Afraid I cannot get too worked up about the queen and Annie Leibowitz (who took that stunning picture of her by the window).
Of course it is out of order to fiddle the sequence and I am surprised at the Beeb letting it occur, but I am sure it happens to commoners all the time and ever since ‘Drop the Dead Donkey’ I sceptically view most news sequences as possible set-ups (or should it be sets-up?).

In your case ‘boosting circulation’ is a quite different matter, surely?

Iron Jelloids were (and possibly are) a medicinal product (obtainable off prescription, I believe).
You are thinking of Melloids, which are pure hard 4mm (1/6") sharp-edged tablets of licorice (or liquorice).
We had an adenoidal geography master, ‘Pooge’ Burgess, at school who consumed them constantly and would occasionally say, “Hab a Belloid, boy.”
There is (or was) another distinctly inferior variety on the market which is to Melloids what Vegamite is to Marmite, a very poor imitation. I think I still have a 30 year old half pack somewhere.

Unknown said...

I remember eating tiny black sweets - liquorice flavour - and they were called Negroids and came in a little tin.
As for Annie Leibowitz, words almost fail me! What can one say about a woman who doesn't know the difference between a crown and a tiara?!
I hope that Bungus has got some anti-spyware protection in place. Spyware/Adware is a major threat these days and programs like McAfee SiteAdvisor can alert you to dodgy sites, but it's not enough on its own.
The ostrich approach isn't good enough!
The photo of your clematis is wonderful, such a lovely colour even if the plant is somewhat intrusive!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I still don't know what the threat is. Is it worse than Global Warming. As I said, I know of no one who has been afflicted but I shall enquire further in view of your warnings.

Anonymous said...

PS
What can you say about Annie Liebewitz?
You can say she is American.