Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Aug 1st - Warm - Arnold - Office

Lovely August morning. I hope you all remembered to say "rabbits". Don't ask me why? My Gran swore that it brought good luck.

First job this morning was to motor over to Arnold, eventually to see the Accountant. He put our minds at rest over several matters which are certainly not blog-material. But before that Y collected her glasses. They are nice, and the opticians managed to make the lenses less thick at the edges. She looks very 'chuchi' in them, but most important she claims she can now see things.

We had time for a quick coffee (and biscuit) in Subway which isn't always very nice but the Arnold version is most pleasant. Arnold people at their best and always game for a laugh. Our decision was to sit at the window bar so we could people-watch and it had high stools. The lady manageress, seeing my mobility problem said "Do you want a leg up?" I replied "Did you say a leg-over?" to which she instantly laughed "That's the best offer I've had all morning". A pleasant 15 minutes was spent people-watching and, through glass, it doesn't cause offence. I managed a couple of Charity Shops and in 'Save the Children' I discovered two ex-colleagues who run it on a Wednesday. Much reminiscences and laughs were enjoyed and I shall call in again. My two books though ( see Picture 1) came from the 'British Heart Foundation' and it was halfprice book day. So the two together came to 60p, but as it was a charity shop I gave the lady a £1. The last of the big-spenders.

After the accountant, we picked Joan up and took her for lunch at The Treetops. Food fine and we had a good chinwag. Then while I did the rest of the Charity Shops she and Y had a wander and I met them in a great little place The Plantations, who do excellent tea and coffee and cakes, and import Belgian Chocolate. Then home.

Picture 2 shows that our Office is now reaching completion. I needed a small table to stand the printer on, and found just the thing in Yeomans Outdoor Shop. It is decribed as a picnic table but it is exactly what I wanted and foresaw.

Aint I got a smashing view? And I find that I can still unerringly hit the waste bin with screwed up balls of paper. All that I really need to do now is to tidy up the inevitable tangle of wires.

Lovely to have your 'comment' Jill and I'm so glad you penned it because I like the blog to be a bit of a journal of record. And it was pleasing to learn from the content that you are recovering well even though, it is obviously going to be a considerable time before you are 100%. I think that under the circumstances you describe you did brilliantly to type so well. Please keep us all posted.

And thanks for your help with butterflies etc., Bungus. Most interesting about the Comma and climate change. Also, you make an excellent point about The Hop Pole Hotel. It must have been much warmer then. I bet that now you know how to access your EXIF data for you photos you will be doing it all the time.

Very interesting piece in the Telegraph about Autumn coming early, and an apple-grower whose Discovery crop is ripening 6 weeks early. Another most interesting article was Fiona Reynolds being inerviewed. She really has worked wonders with the National Trust and we agreed with every point she made. Read the article here. Only 49 and a Cambridge M.Phil and is one shrewd cookie. They seem to be recruiting some top class people because we were also very impressed by our new Regional Director who came to our Mansfield Annual Dinner.

Quote for the day, from my iGoogle home page:-

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank."


When I first saw Annie Hall with Diane Keaton, 3o years ago I discover, I thought "Here is a major talent". And I think I was right.

.... I'll close there because I've had a busy day. Hope everyone has a good night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In 1724 Nottinghamshire had nearly 3,000 acres devoted to cultivation of hops.
One area was in Boughton, below Wellow Woods, at the bottom of. Nickerbush Hill.

I have never seen ‘Annie Hall’.
I first saw Woody Allen as a ‘stand-up’ and that was good enough for me.
I find his films (the ones I have seen) just a bit 'much'.

Anonymous said...

PS
re Woody Allen; when I say 'that was good enough' I mean I was very impressed.

Anonymous said...

PPS
Not Nickerbush Hill, Cocking Hill.